If you like thrillers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you like thrillers...

Blog Entries

If you like thrillers...

Check out Lee Child's " JACK REACHER "series.

Great story-lines and a great MC.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Blog Entries
    Even with the violence level in some of these (a LOT of bodies hit the floor in some of them) I agree. The whole setup with Reacher hitchhiking into a situation he knows nothing about gives each book a good dose of mystery. And Reacher's analytical view of life and especially combat actually works for me not to mention how he takes damage and keeps going. There's a lot to admire and the books are engrossing.

Blog Entries
    Yep, totally agree and you can't not be on his side.

Why hasn't someone made a television series with those books? Maybe they have in your part of the world, I wouldn't know.

A slightly less violent but no less gripping, I think, version, in my opinion, because it's set in England I suppose, is Angela Marsons' " D.I. STONE " series, that's detective inspector Kimberly Stone. You can't help but love her, and again, great story-lines.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    Some of the Reacher books have been made into movies here with Tom Cruise as Reacher. Seems like an unlikely casting because Cruise is not built at all like Reacher but he has the physicality and timing to make it work. The problem with bringing a story like Reacher's to the screen, though, is that so much of what happens with him is mental...planning what he's going to do before he does it even if it's in a flash of insight.

I think I've heard of D.I. Stone...never have read. Thanks! I'll have to look for that.

If you like a sci-fi thriller the Jane Hawk series that Dean Koontz has been writing is good, too. (starting with The Silent Corner) Rogue FBI agent trying to stop/expose a techno superpower. If you like underdog stories this is a good one.

Blog Entries
    Might have a look at that Foxee but the two MCs that I've mentioned here are right on the button for me. Reacher deserved someone like a forty something Schwarzenneger. But then, where do you even BEGIN to look for a real-life Reacher?

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    That was the conclusion I came to as well. You'd need a tank of a man who can still move with precision and project intelligence. Somehow I don't think Reacher's body type gets cast in leading roles much even if the actors are out there. Cruise did okay, though.

Blog Entries
    Foxee,
    if you DO look into the D.I. Stone series, you need to check out when they were written and read them in sequence. I found out the hard way. The third book I read was the one where she's transfered to a new station, picks and heads her first team. Wish I'd read that one first. Having said that, every time I read one it was like meeting up with an old friend that I hadn't seen for while. Just good to see her again sort of thing.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    My alltime favorite was the long-gone 230+ "Destroyer" series.

Started in the 70s, it featured a martial arts expert, an ancient North Korean and his student named "Remo". There was killing and often humor on every page, though not much story plot.

I used to tell friends that I could rip the middle from the book and not miss it.

I liked the series so much that I later wrote a novel very loosely based on it.

Blog Entries
    That first of the D.I.Stone series is " FIRST BLOOD". A must read.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

I tried to like the Reacher series, but the author did such a poor job of research that I could get past a couple chapters.

Just for one example: officers in the US Army Military Police are not investigators, they are administrators. And investigations under the UCMJ are very poor preparation for conducting investigations outside the military, as the rules are completely different.

But I've never been a great fan of the 'action' genre. The closest I come to it are a couple of Stephen Hunter's books.
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast