Is Grammarly useful? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Grammarly useful?

Blog Entries
    as others have said: it's a tool, not a magic bullet. it's very good at helping you spot your main issues, catching silly small mistakes, and maybe suggesting a simpler way to say something. always engage with it critically. if you don't care for its suggestions, then delete it. don't let grammatical correctness dictate your voice or style, just let it keep your writing clear.
    "Finish your work, accomplish what you set your hand to, and the people will call you a natural."
    -Lao Tzu

It does occasionally give a very bad suggestion that makes the sentence ungrammatical. When I am certain it is a certain threshold or quality I stop using it or relying on it. It's the option I have since my brothers always have their hands full and are busy. They are the ones that know english, and they do not have disabilities.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I use the free version of Grammarly too. It's good for what it is. However proof reading and self editing is ALWAYS a must. You will miss words and so does Grammarly you need other programs and a very thorough read-through (more than one usually) to catch all those mistakes. I've heard that Grammarly is great for catching run-ons which is a problem I have, if you have a paid plan, which I don't. Something else to keep in mind with creative writing is character style. Most people do not speak in a grammatically correct way. You will find not 12 year old that says "I must go to the store with mom." Which is ...well, it's correct like I stated. It would be more like "I have to go to the store with my mom." etc... so that's also something to keep in mind when using it. Who is your character? What is their age? Are they going to speak standard English, American, British etc..? I use Grammarly, my own brain and other built-ins like spell check. Even doing that though I spend around 8 hours a week editing. My question is is premium Grammarly (paid for) really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Fox87 View Post
    I use the free version of Grammarly too. It's good for what it is. However proof reading and self editing is ALWAYS a must. You will miss words and so does Grammarly you need other programs and a very thorough read-through (more than one usually) to catch all those mistakes. I've heard that Grammarly is great for catching run-ons which is a problem I have, if you have a paid plan, which I don't. Something else to keep in mind with creative writing is character style. Most people do not speak in a grammatically correct way. You will find not 12 year old that says "I must go to the store with mom." Which is ...well, it's correct like I stated. It would be more like "I have to go to the store with my mom." etc... so that's also something to keep in mind when using it. Who is your character? What is their age? Are they going to speak standard English, American, British etc..? I use Grammarly, my own brain and other built-ins like spell check. Even doing that though I spend around 8 hours a week editing. My question is is premium Grammarly (paid for) really worth it?
    Yes but get a discount. Because it doesn't imho catch all the typos or fragments. It will leave some mistakes undetected for the free version. You need catch the vast majority or leave it near publishable. Which Grammarly can do. I am a non-native language learner supposedly and also have some dyslexia.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123