Is Grammarly useful? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Grammarly useful?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew1959 View Post
    I ended up with a different, less expensive competitor, ProWritingAid. I find it to be useful as long as I use it as a guide. It's really good for misspelled words and shows sentences that could be improved. I also like the analysis that shows when I've used a word, or phrase too often. It also helps identify passive sentences. Overall, it's been worth the money.
    Ditto for me.

I also noticed that you can lose your voice if you take these programs at face value. The first time I used it, it made hash out of my writing. What I do now is follow the highlights, see what it is saying and then make my own decision. Punctuation I will follow almost all the time, spelling, most of the time. Sentence structure I will look at and make my own decisions. I quote a lot of Scripture, so I have to be very careful that I don't change that, or any other quote.

It's handy. But don't listen to everything it says.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalGreen View Post
    It's handy. But don't listen to everything it says.
    I spent 15 years driving a semi and learned you should never listen to anything technology based 100%. More than one driver has found himself in deep, costly trouble because his GPS told him to turn and his eyes and brain never communicated that it was a bad idea. I apply that to my writing as well.

Grammarly is extremely useful as a spell check device. However, I would say it lacks in accuracy when it comes to small things such as commas. As with any computer-operated editor, it isn't always accurate. I use it for the first couple of drafts, because it is good at catching glaringly obvious mistakes such as if I were to type "Jane tiks its okay to say such a thing." It catches the apostrophe and the spelling error. I wouldn't necessarily depend on Grammarly for anything more than that, though. I gave the premium version a try, however, it is the same thing that I found with the free version. There are helpful hints here and there, but it doesn't catch your tone like a human can, so it won't make suggestions based off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by watermark View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of ads on Grammarly lately. Supposedly its premium version can help you write better in addition to correcting grammar.

Has anyone used this? Is it worth it?

Never rely on a software to make sure your grammar is right. Always ask English teachers. There some forums on the Internet for that purpose.

It helped me with papers for college . . . if that helps at all. I did install this for my browser, windows, and Microsoft word, so will see if it contributes to my creative writing. I did manage a quick edit just now with it on my science fiction piece I am planning to write. I like it, personally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12