Your Set of Beliefs and Coronavirus - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Set of Beliefs and Coronavirus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    Media pretends there isn't an issue, calls those voicing concern conspiracy nuts or bigots. Problem becomes undeniable, calls those wary of loss of civil liberties and economic downturn idiots and ant-science. "Science" is just code for academia and institutional power, having almost nothing to do with actual empiricism these days. Fuck "science." Trust your own eyes more and the media less.
    I'm not aware of the media pretending there isn't an issue unless we are talking at cross purposes and you think, I dunno, a sudden outbreak of yellow fever needs attention and isn't getting any. Media are far more likely to overplay the issue simply because there's more cash in it. And saying "science is just a code for institutional power" is, I'm sorry, but it is kind of a conspiracy-nut thing to say. It's not even correct, because it's institutional power that would make the media blow it up in spite of the data. I mean, who the hell listens to scientists anyway? In my opinion, when people dismiss science, it's a piece of rhetoric to present themselves as a greater authority on a subject than they are, likely for their own reasons - possibly commercial but often purely egotistical. There's rarely any substance behind it. It just sounds cool and that's why such ideas gain traction. It is very damaging and I will call it out where I see it. Sorry if this means you, but there you go.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I'm not aware of the media pretending there isn't an issue unless we are talking at cross purposes and you think, I dunno, a sudden outbreak of yellow fever needs attention and isn't getting any. Media are far more likely to overplay the issue simply because there's more cash in it. And saying "science is just a code for institutional power" is, I'm sorry, but it is kind of a conspiracy-nut thing to say. It's not even correct, because it's institutional power that would make the media blow it up in spite of the data. I mean, who the hell listens to scientists anyway? In my opinion, when people dismiss science, it's a piece of rhetoric to present themselves as a greater authority on a subject than they are, likely for their own reasons - possibly commercial but often purely egotistical. There's rarely any substance behind it. It just sounds cool and that's why such ideas gain traction. It is very damaging and I will call it out where I see it. Sorry if this means you, but there you go.
    Newspapers when printing on paper had a certain amount of space for news stories. Now they have endless web pages filled with pure garbage from illiterate snowflakes who can't even spell. I admit I am terrible at spelling, but then I would never get a job in a newspaper. A reporter used to be a person with skill who went out and covered a news story. Today it appears to be the job of a school leaver who left without exam qualifications.

Point is the media is full of pure junk.

When all this started. According to the media, it was just a 'flu' so watch out oldies. Now it is something a lot more serious which is killing all ages but also is going to finish the world economy until it is cured or irradicated.

Can it be cured by eating a few mushrooms or eating the right food? I am not qualified to even guess at that. But eating the right food will put you in a better position to survive any infections and diseases.

You can call me a nut all you want. I had masks, food, and everything back in January when the Chinese paid off WHO was downplaying things. I recall the supposed "skeptical" movement that rose to prominence in the early 2000s. They were so big on pointing out neurological heuristics and their biases, but seemed oblivious to institutional biases. Crack pot, science denier, bigot... these are all cultural pressure words to keep the "good boys and girls" in line for fear of social ostracization in a cult like manner. The dark realms of the internet I travel through find more truth through allowing the "crack pots" to contribute than to set up artificial barriers based on having boomer papers. We see you there laughing at the straw men of red neck hillbillies you prop up in your mind as the enemy, spoon fed it as the opposition to make yourself feel enlightened by comparison by media outlets that seek to control rather than inform you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to save you, and wouldn't if I could. Being ahead of the curve in preparedness is just part of the Darwinian selection process, and deference to institutional authority is a sure way to ensure you won't be. Or to quote Ayn Rand, "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Jorge as you wrote

If you believe in the power of alternative treatment in healing you when you are sick, you will be interested in the following post: Secret of How to Keep Yourself & Family Coronavirus Free

im sure you lived in 1347 and made a fortune selling alternative medicine amulets that were thrice blessed and guaranteed to protect the righteous
    and if a customer died well by definition then were not righteous
    sales penetration was a function of the number of idiots per acre
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Blog Entries
    You can call me a nut all you want. I had masks, food, and everything back in January when the Chinese paid off WHO was downplaying things. I recall the supposed "skeptical" movement that rose to prominence in the early 2000s. They were so big on pointing out neurological heuristics and their biases, but seemed oblivious to institutional biases. Crack pot, science denier, bigot... these are all cultural pressure words to keep the "good boys and girls" in line for fear of social ostracization in a cult like manner. The dark realms of the internet I travel through find more truth through allowing the "crack pots" to contribute than to set up artificial barriers based on having boomer papers. We see you there laughing at the straw men of red neck hillbillies you prop up in your mind as the enemy, spoon fed it as the opposition to make yourself feel enlightened by comparison by media outlets that seek to control rather than inform you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to save you, and wouldn't if I could. Being ahead of the curve in preparedness is just part of the Darwinian selection process, and deference to institutional authority is a sure way to ensure you won't be. Or to quote Ayn Rand, "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality."
    Being cognizant of, and a beneficiary of, the science of a matter doesn't equate to being in thrall to the media. I suspect you meant to say pseudoscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Point is the media is full of pure junk.
    Agreed. It was just the subtle inclusion of science in with that, that was rather telling.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

I suspect you meant to say pseudoscience..
    Nope. The inability of academia to answer the demarcation problem has meant that the halls of science are anything but. To the point where the vast majority of ideas promoted as science aren't, and the vast majority of those believing themselves to be advocates for or believers in science are unaware of the their own position as apologetics style defenders of perverse and corrupt institutions.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Blog Entries
    For those of you who don't trust the news media, can you cite some examples from the past few days that make you not trust it?

It is stupid to discuss 'the media' as if it is one entity with a single purpose. There are thousands of media outlets, each with their own set of objectives, standards, and biases. Even coagulating a few -- or many -- outlets into a group and calling them "the mainstream media" is too simplistic.

What we lack are readers with the willingness to look at sources, to read/view a wide range of perspectives, to gather facts, and then to actually think about what those facts are telling them. Too many people want their media sources to align with their own viewpoint and are quick to disregard as 'fake news' anything which doesn't suit their worldview.

A free press -- with all its faults -- is still our best hope for understanding what is going on. If you allow politicians to influence your opinion of news, of science, and of philosophy you will be a fool.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Nope. The inability of academia to answer the demarcation problem has meant that the halls of science are anything but. To the point where the vast majority of ideas promoted as science aren't, and the vast majority of those believing themselves to be advocates for or believers in science are unaware of the their own position as apologetics style defenders of perverse and corrupt institutions.
    "Ideas promoted as science" is pseudoscience. Without evidence or argument, I would be hard-pushed to call people working on a coronavirus vaccine or a cure for cancer apologists for that. The output from the medical and scientific communities has a far better success rate historically than the nonsense in the OP.

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

I would be hard-pushed to call people working on a coronavirus vaccine or a cure for cancer apologists for that. The output from the medical and scientific communities has a far better success rate historically than the nonsense in the OP.
    That is a really strong statement.

A cure for cancer?........If there was such a thing. Could any government allow it? Could any company sell it for less than big bucks? Would the people allow that company to sell for big bucks? Again the world could not afford a cure for cancer. Such a cure would kill the planet. So the cure would kill all of us.

In fact now the best thing and probably the only thing that will save the planet is disease that ravishes humans.......... There's science for you!

If you look back in our history and watch what animals do. You will see that besides the snake oil cures, our ancestors and animals knew the benefits of certain foods and the lotions and potions of certain plants/fungi/etc to treat disease and ailments. A lot of them we still use today even under license and prescription from the medical authorities.

Just because it is made from natural materials quite simply does not mean it is of no benefit or cannot cure.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast