A problem with my Alt History setting inspired by Leviatans Board Game

Thread: A problem with my Alt History setting inspired by Leviatans Board Game

A problem with my Alt History setting inspired by Leviatans Board Game

Due to this Pandemic I've bin currently working on one of Old ideas an Alt History inspired by Leviatans Board Game, here is my main problem.

The original Board Game was Shelved and Discontinued in 2015, but in 2020 they have got back to the setting with a new game pushing forward the timeframe to Great War,

I admitt that I took apart the setting to figure out how they did it, I've tweaked some things around like when lift was first discovered in the Board Game 1878, me 1877. Edward VII's first Son in 1910 is still alive, in the Board Game they don't have any of the Superliners I do in 1910.

I took my cue from Crimson Skies, Edwardian Era like in the Board Game all Navies are now in the Air or should I say the Eight Powers that fought in the Great War, and the Ottoman Empire as well.

Monsters in the Sky home page, is were the kickstarter is, and Catalyst Game Labs is the producer of the game.

So Am I in trouble?,

LW

The setting is copyrighted, so you are going to have to make some pretty major changes across the board. The fact that is game is OOP doesn't not mitigate your criminal and civil liabilities; OOP does not equal public domain.

Worse, this smacks of plagiarism, which will destroy a writer's career.
    Never pet a burning dog.

How much of Major changes do I have to make?, I'm trying not to do Plaqiarism but if one wants to find out something works you take it apart this includes written work.

in Aether Mechanics graphic novel they have flying Naval ships,

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    How much of Major changes do I have to make?, I'm trying not to do Plaqiarism but if one wants to find out something works you take it apart this includes written work.

in Aether Mechanics graphic novel they have flying Naval ships,

LW
    Seeking ideas or inspiration is no crime, but you have to put in the work. Change how the air-lift works, make sure not to copy any noteworthy terminology, and toss in significant setting changes.

Avoiding copyright infringement and/or theft of IP is just the first step: your prospective genre base is small, meaning that fans of the board game will (hopefully) read your book. If they realize 'hey, this guy just ripped off Leviathan', you will lose them. Worse, they'll put out the word.

We all draw inspiration from various sources, but be careful to keep it to just inspiration.

For example, give a different explanation for how a air ship copes with the recoil of its guns than Leviathan used.

And another thing: if you're going to indulge in copyright violation, you might not want to post that fact on the Net. Guys who have enough computer savvy to post a Kickstarter will have enough know-how to use a search engine to go after the person who ripped them off.

A third option is this: contact the copyright owners via their Kickstarter site and ask permission. Honesty does work, and then you can just concentrate on writing the novel.
    Never pet a burning dog.

Well first off I used Rods of Orichalcum instead Electrical Fluid, this Natural Alloy was First rediscovered in 1877 in the Board Game lift was created in 1878, now lift is caused when a current is run through Orichalcum Rods were the best from to conduct in likewise fluid,

Person who created the Steam Turbine also try to create a Rocket Torpedo in our timeframe he failed, I'm basing my Air Torpedo on the Person's Rocket version like in Crimson Skies. The other thing in Leviathans Game there is no Superliners well in my setting there is Water Ships still exist,

In this Atl History Edward VII First Son still lives and in 1910 ends up becoming King, his Brother is still in the Navy and Married to Marie Alexandra Victoria.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Well first off I used Rods of Orichalcum instead Electrical Fluid, this Natural Alloy was First rediscovered in 1877 in the Board Game lift was created in 1878, now lift is caused when a current is run through Orichalcum Rods were the best from to conduct in likewise fluid,

Person who created the Steam Turbine also try to create a Rocket Torpedo in our timeframe he failed, I'm basing my Air Torpedo on the Person's Rocket version like in Crimson Skies. The other thing in Leviathans Game there is no Superliners well in my setting there is Water Ships still exist,

In this Atl History Edward VII First Son still lives and in 1910 ends up becoming King, his Brother is still in the Navy and Married to Marie Alexandra Victoria.

LW
    I'm not familiar enough with the setting to give you any feedback on your efforts.

Good luck with the novel; if it turns out to be a best seller I'll be contacting you with a good deal on a set of screenshots, suitable for framing!
    Never pet a burning dog.

Very Cute if I do have problem then I can turn into a Hard Fantasy setting, going the Translated Manga route.

LW