Would I have t change my story because of the current COVID-19 situation?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would I have t change my story because of the current COVID-19 situation?

Would I have t change my story because of the current COVID-19 situation?

I have a screenplay, and I was wondering if it has to be rewritten since it's set in modern times, because of the situation. Would it seem weird if the economy is not down the toilet, and no mention of the virus is in the script, since it's a huge pandemic? The story doesn't have anything to do with the virus, but if I keep it set it in a world, as if the virus has never happened, would that be a problem?

You don't have to change anything. Unless you're writing history, it's all fantasy and you can write whatever you want. Are you not aware of how writing fiction works?

Well it's just that readers are unaware of the story being set in a fictional universe though, and assume it's a real world setting.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Well it's just that readers are unaware of the story being set in a fictional universe though, and assume it's a real world setting.
    If you could get your book out in the next few weeks and it is correct with what happens in the world over the next few months or longer. Your place in history will be confirmed. Because every paper will be doing a 'IronPony predicted' feature every time there is some event in the world.

I honestly don't know how or why you would assume that your readers don't understand how fiction works. You're not writing a history book and your readers are not idiots. They know that fictional stories are... FICTION and that stories have the freedom to approximate the real world as little or as much as the author or story dictates. In fact, most readers or viewers are savvy enough to understand that even "based on a true story" disclaimers are pretty meaningless when it comes to actual realism.

If you WANT to change your story to incorporate the virus, that's up to you... but just how many different threads in this forum alone have you started with a "do I have to change this" premise? It's starting to feel like you're just looking for excuses to never finish this thing.

Bottom line: write it how you want. It's your story.

Oh okay, it's just that other real life stories will change certain things around according to real world currents events. For example, in the movie The Living Daylights, they decided to take away James Bond's promiscuity because of the AIDS virus going on at the time, they said. So that's just an example or readers associating things in the story, with current events.

I have a screenplay, and I was wondering if it has to be rewritten since it's set in modern times, because of the situation. Would it seem weird if the economy is not down the toilet, and no mention of the virus is in the script, since it's a huge pandemic? The story doesn't have anything to do with the virus, but if I keep it set it in a world, as if the virus has never happened, would that be a problem?
    Ah yes. The risk of having real-life events suddenly and unexpectedly dating one's work increase as time grinds on. But no. Don't rewrite it. It will assuredly never get completed if you do. Keep it as is. Just set it in a time before covid. Avoid 2020 like ... like a great big avoidy thing.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Oh okay, it's just that other real life stories will change certain things around according to real world currents events. For example, in the movie The Living Daylights, they decided to take away James Bond's promiscuity because of the AIDS virus going on at the time, they said. So that's just an example or readers associating things in the story, with current events.
    And it's arguably one of the most forgettable in the franchise. Is it because they changed the character of Bond? Perhaps. Future movies went back to a more promiscuous Bond, soooo.....

The thing is, you can cherry pick all day long. There are examples of movies that fundamentally changed due to current real world circumstances, and movies that did not change at all. Ultimately, do you really need ANOTHER reason to change your story?

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Ah yes. The risk of having real-life events suddenly and unexpectedly dating one's work increase as time grinds on. But no. Don't rewrite it. It will assuredly never get completed if you do. Keep it as is. Just set it in a time before covid. Avoid 2020 like ... like a great big avoidy thing.
    But my script has events in it that effect a large portion of society. So readers will say, when did this happen in the 2010s, if I make up a historical event in the 2010s that never happened though.

But my script has events in it that effect a large portion of society. So readers will say, when did this happen in the 2010s, if I make up a historical event in the 2010s that never happened though.
    Do you watch Die Hard and say "but when did the top of a building explode in downtown LA?"

Do you watch Deep Impact and say "but I don't remember a comet striking the Earth in the late 90s..."

Do you watch Magnolia and say "I don't remember it raining frogs in the San Fernando Valley..."

Your fictional story is allowed to be fictional, and your audience is generally not comprised of people who cannot tell the difference between fiction and reality.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast