Would I have t change my story because of the current COVID-19 situation? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would I have t change my story because of the current COVID-19 situation?

But that's because those movies were set in modern times though. if Die Hard were set in say 1984, instead of 1988, then wouldn't people ask, when did this happen in 1984? Or if Deep Impact were set in 1991, instead of 1998, wouldn't they say, when did this happen in 1991?

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    But that's because those movies were set in modern times though. if Die Hard were set in say 1984, instead of 1988, then wouldn't people ask, when did this happen in 1984? Or if Deep Impact were set in 1991, instead of 1998, wouldn't they say, when did this happen in 1991?
    Do you honestly think your audience is that stupid?

There are people who will watch Escape From New York for the VERY first time this year (since it's streaming at the moment) and I guarantee you that not a single one of them will be confused as to when New York City was walled off as a prison. Because they understand that THEY ARE WATCHING A MOVIE.

Once again, you seem to just be making excuses to argue against the advice you're asking for. It's getting really, really tedious, man.

If you really think people gonna get fooled, then you could just add a black screen before the story starts that says, "This is a work of fiction."

Done.

I mean, seriously, it's not like your story is ultimately grounded like Godfather. Nobody's gonna think a male police officer hunting his female rapists or something along that line as a true story, to be frank.

Oh okay it's just I thought people would think it was weird if the story is set in modern times, but COVID never happened. But as long as that's not strange.

Blog Entries
    Oh okay it's just I thought people would think it was weird if the story is set in modern times, but COVID never happened. But as long as that's not strange.
    If it's set in pre-covid-19 days, obviously it would not factor into your story. In post-covid-19 days, who knows what impact it will have? A lot of people will die and there will be economic repercussions that may be catastrophic. Since we don't know what will happen, a novelist could create a fictional virus without the constraints of what's actually unfolding.

Oh well it's just that will the story work now that COVID19 has it... Will readers say who cares about these criminals committing crimes, when there is a virus pandemic now that is a much bigger deal?

You gonna have all your characters in isolation at home?

Well will it seem weird if the characters are out in a night club for one scene for example, since all places like that are closed indefinitely now?

By the time you're published, they'll be open again.

I have a screenplay, and I was wondering if it has to be rewritten since it's set in modern times, because of the situation. Would it seem weird if the economy is not down the toilet, and no mention of the virus is in the script, since it's a huge pandemic? The story doesn't have anything to do with the virus, but if I keep it set it in a world, as if the virus has never happened, would that be a problem?
    It would depend on your story - fictional universe you say... well, make it obvious that it's fictional at the start, maybe a parallel and have Hillary be President or Romney on a second term. Flying cars or different technology or ethnicity's could work too. You could also stage your story during the early phases of the covid pandemic, or when it's on the down slope, or give the disease a different name.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast