Reading the wrong books.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading the wrong books.

Blog Entries

Reading the wrong books.

Because I'm not getting out much right now I'm stuck for reading material. I'm reading books that my wife has amassed and, to be honest, having read one or two, okay, they weren't THAT bad,but now I'm struggling. I'm currently reading "Suggs, That Close ", Suggs of Madness fame. Before that it was a book about Brando, "Somebody". I'm sure that most of you will know what the "somebody" refers to.

Well, anyway, both stories talk of unhappy childhoods, rough neighbourhoods, and poor to miserable schooling experiences with little or no expectation. Why does life have to be, seem, so tragic? Winners and losers, "make or break", I can accept but at such a young age, young lives can be fragile, so many are broken and, for them, life is over before it can begin.

It's just the way of things.

I had to rein myself in here. At first I hit the "blog-tab" and broke into a full-on diatribe against what is, essentially, human-nature.

There's not much you can say about what I've said here, I'm venting but I just wish, if only we weren't so "dog eat dog". Y'know?
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

It does make you kind of wonder how we learn such behaviors, doesn't it? I mean, think of a baby, born into such innocence and (sometimes) turns out to be a person who would rather cause pain to others than not. How does that happen? I really enjoy historical novels and film, but sometimes am so dismayed over people's treatment of others who may be different from them, but just as often are not. Dither, your rant is one I have had myself and there's never an answer. Just something to go to now and then.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    SueC,
    I don't suppose many of us come through life totally smelling of roses but why does it have to take us so long to figure it out. Yes we can all learn from our mistakes and genuinely regret past actions, or in-actions, as the case may or may not be, but it's "damage done" isn't it. It all seems so very sad.

Life eh?
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Wisdom comes from pain
    there is no other way
    we all get our turn
    with putting our dick in a blender
    Sorry SueC its a guy ego thing
    that drives this and i can not think of a female metaphor

I think of earth as remedial school
    we all have failed at the easy lessons
    and here you get tough love
    admission is free to this life
    you pay the price of surviving
    and finally they let you out

Life eh
    for most of my life I thought i must have been
    really bad in prior lives
    and this one was pay back
    lolololololol

but after it all is said and done
    living well is the best revenge
    on all whom have done me wrong

PS why does it take so long
    remedial school
    we are not the sharpest knives in the draw
    the fast learner never make it here

as to you reading the wife’s books
    Lord save this man from this cruel and inhuman punishment

down load books on to your table or laptop or whatever
    and turn from this dark practice Dither and sin no more
    Last edited by Gofa; April 4th, 2020 at 12:03 AM.
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Doesn't anyone reread their favorite books? I have three or four titles I read about once a year or so. Nothing at all lofty, in fact I'd probably be a bit embarrassed to reveal what they are, but there are some worlds I just like returning to and experiencing again and again. Yes, I know what's going to happen and after the initial read they hold very few surprises, but nevertheless, they can still be page turners: the anticipation of getting to that one chapter or passage that blew me away the first time, seeing new things in certain characters or picking up on subtleties I may have glossed over the first time.

This is especially good for non-fiction books and biographies. Especially if they're dense. Or in any way "difficult" There have also been supposedly good books that I've been unimpressed by only to return to years later with a different perspective that puts them in a completely new light.

Sometimes it's a good remedy to counteract that sour, empty feeling I get when I spend time on a book that ultimately disappoints, or even angers me.

I have quite a few books downloaded, some that I'm very anxious to read, but I'm not comfortable with e-books. I don't like having a light shining in my face, and I can't seem to get as cozy when reading from a slab of plastic and electrical current than when I have a nice, friendly hunk of paper and ink in my hands. Sometimes I wonder if there's something about the physical structure of a book that makes them so appealing. They've been around for quite some time, you know, but suddenly it seems they're not good enough for everyone. I'm such a luddite.

What's really sad is how bookstores have become such an endangered species. Rows and rows of books, millions of words, seemingly impossible to absorb everything in one afternoon. I know we still have libraries, but that's not the same to me. Besides, nowadays it isn't too appealing to stop after every five pages or so to sanitize your hands. I used to buy books just to put aside for the day when I'd be in the mood to read them. I used to collect different editions of my favorite books. A friend of mine has no money and few assets, but I've already made it clear to him that he must will me his mint condition first pressing hardcover of The Exorcist. It's currently on the top shelf of his bedroom bookshelf collecting obscene amounts of dust and I'd probably be lying if I said I'm not the least bit anxious for him to die.

Regarding the pain and evil that we sometimes inflict on each other, I think it's simply due to a toxic combination of intelligence, self-awareness, and emotion. Way too much emotion. We're like chimps with machine guns. If tigers had the intelligence of man they'd be on top of the food chain right now and what kind of world would that be?

A better one, probably.

If you are looking for something more lighthearted, checkout the Calizona series.
    The series will keep you busy for the rest of the month.

Whatever happens throughout our life, it makes us the people we are. As we go through life we have to make decisions when we come to those endless crossroads we keep coming to daily, weekly or monthly.

The only time when we hardly ever had control of decisions is when we are under 16. Then our parents or guardians have control. Somebodies unhappy childhood story could be nothing to somebody elses.

Suggs didnt do to bad in the end.

Rough neighbourhoods are good when telling a story. (How rough was yours?) They make it more interesting to the reader. 'Nice' probably doesn't sell?

We all have stories of true life. Most people prefer not to repeat them for various reasons.

Blog Entries
    Gofa, as always your post was enjoyed and appreciated. You speak of life and call it " remedial school ". That's all well and good for those who make it, I failed every test. I flunked.

KenTR, I'm in the process of listing all the books that I've read and enjoyed with the intention of returning to them when I eventually run out of new titles. There are a few writers out there that I enjoy (was enjoying ) reading, before this lock-down business, and books are there to be read. I shall just have to wait and hope for a return to normality.

Biro, Like I said, "make or break" and that's great for those who make it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-books: I'm sorry but I just love sitting, feet up, mug of booze at hand, with a real book.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

KenTR
    hell yes ever 5 to 10 years go again on my favourites i have grown and so see more

Roger Zelazny is the guy Ive reread the most
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast