Edwardian British Royal Navy 1910 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edwardian British Royal Navy 1910

I wouldn't know for certain how porter beer in particular was regarded in British society at the time, but beer in general was drunk by all social classes because it was cheap and could be locally produced. The low cost made it a natural choice for the working classes, but that's not to say that gentlemen of class did not enjoy their pints as well. Wine and champagne might have been the drinks of choice in upscale gatherings by convention, but beer was still by far the most common alcoholic beverage in everyday consumption among Britons of all classes. The reason one wouldn't see beer served in upscale banquets isn't so much for it's association with the common riff-raff than simply because it was an everyday product, nothing special or fancy with which the banquet's host could show off his wealth and refinement.

Naval surgeons of the 1910's could certainly handle a case of appendicitis. The procedure of appendectomy had been known for well over a century by 1910, having been constantly evolved and improved over the 19th century, so by the turn of 20th century any surgeon worth his salt would have been able to perform it. It is a relatively simple surgery that doesn't even need general anaesthesia, certainly much simpler than the compound fractures, severe burns and shrapnel wounds that naval surgeons would have to treat in wartime.

Lord Cardigan comes to mind and the Black Bottle affair, so a 1910 Naval Surgeon can handle the type of operation that I mention, good it's for the first book idea that I've have.

The Ward Room sounds like a Gentlemen's club a Blueblood haven, having a CO who has no friends at Court or Admirality, in Victorian to Great War get metals and knighthood Stars were impossable to very hard for common Army or Navy there also in 1910 no Prize Money at this time in the Navy.

LW

The wardrooms were essentially that - gentlemen's clubs with their own etiquette and code of conduct. Attending officers were expected to refrain from discussing politics, religion and women. Discussing work, performing work or meeting subordinates in the wardroom was also considered poor form. Officers who entered during a meal were required to ask permission to join to the most senior officer present.

The CO of the ship was not usually a member of the Wardroom and would generally attend only when invited. Unless invited by the officers to join them in the Wardroom, the CO usually dined in his personal quarters.

Earning medals and advancements wasn't as difficult for a talented commoner as it might seem, though it was certainly harder than for someone with proper connections - but then again, same is still largely true in today's comparatively egalitarian society.

Yes my main Character is a talented commoner from Canada, despight his Father striking it rich but his it's this very man who is the mill stone around his neck.

I'm figuring out that a Superliner wouldn't have a Doctor on board hence one of the minor plotlines in my book.

LW

I take that by "superliner" you mean "super-dreadnought". If your book is set in 1910, that would be inaccurate since the Orion-class battleships that were the first to be called "super-dreadnoughts" were only launched in 1912.

Honestly I find it extremely unlikely that there would ever be a situation with no doctors whatsoever aboard a battleship. A battleship would have several surgeons with assistants for a number of reasons. Even in peacetime, there would rarely be a shortage of patients in the infirmary from everyday injuries and illnesses who could appear on any time of the day. Consequently, a minimum of two certified doctors and at least the same number of orderlies with some medical training were required to take shifts in the infirmary and keep it running 24/7. During wartime where any number from the crew of about 750 men could sustain life-threatening injuries, that number would have to be even greater. Lastly, the doctors themselves weren't impervious to illness or injury, so at least two would be kept aboard to avoid precisely the sort of situation you describe.

https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/orion

I found this crew list for HMS Orion as it was during the Battle of Jutland in 1916. It lists two surgeons and at least two orderlies, though the occupation list is incomplete so there were probably more. The crew composition was probably quite similar between the battleships.

Also, since battleships spent most of their time in port, at most doing short-range patrols, it wouldn't be much of a problem to find at least a temporary replacement doctor in the naval base or the nearby city.
    You could have a situation where a battleship must undertake a longer journey through the tropics, with one of the two certified surgeons falling severely ill and the chief surgeon dying of unrelated causes, leaving one of the orderlies to assume the role of acting medical officer. The problem with this premise is that no dreadnought battleships served anywhere in the tropics in 1910-1914. You could, however, pick one of the older battleships or a cruiser to act as your setting.

https://www.naval-history.net/xGW-RN...n1900-14.htm#3

This list shows the Royal Navy deployments between 1900 and 1914, none of the modern dreadnoughts being deployed away from British Isles. It does, however, also provide a comprehensive list of older battleships and lesser vessels that did serve in the colonies, so you could pick one of them to be your 100% historically-accurate setting. Of course, you might as well just write an entirely fictional battleship as the setting, in which case ignore pretty much everything I've said.

No I mean the Superliner Passenger boats, like RMS Mauretania.

H.M.A. : London is a Heavy Cruiser,

Yes I know the fact that Heavy Cruiser didn't show up until after the Great War, the A at the end is short for Airship that's right in my 1910 setting all of major powers have Air not Wet Navies. Inspired by Leviatans Board Game, it's Alt History setting also the Graphic Novel Aetheric Mechanics it too has flying Naval ships.

One problem I have right now is that I might be sailing too close to Plagiarism and Copyright issues, if does become a problem then I can turn into a Hard Fantasy Setting.

LW

Come on folks I still need help with the Edwardian Navy, like how does Order are told from Captain down to the Officers, Does He have to wait for until the ship is in the area to open the orders.

Second problem is that How does the Captain find out the Men that will serve under him?,

LW

The usual ways of passing orders from the bridge to the various ship's sections was via speaking tubes and (specifically to the engine room) mechanical telegraph. More non-essential orders not pertaining to the operation of the ship could be delivered by runners.

For orders issued to the captain by fleet command, that would depend strongly on the circumstance. The envelope containing the orders would usually come with instructions. Unless specified otherwise, the captain would read his orders at his own discretion and brief his officers before departure. If secrecy was required, the envelope and/or the delivering person would specify when and were to open it.

Captains generally didn't have much say over who got assigned to their ship. They would submit a list of vacancies, and the personnel department of the Navy would find and assign men with the necessary qualifications to their ships. If a captain wanted someone particular to serve on his ship, he could, of course, ask for a favour if he knew the right officers, but that wasn't a standard practice by any means.

Great that means for Captain to find out more about his Officers he would have a one to one meal with them.

What about Prizes in the Age of Sail a ship's crew and Captain could rely on Prize Money but by 1910 it's gone in the British Navy so how do they get the Rewards that lured most Men to join the Navy in the First place?.

LW

Although a number of other nations had abolished it, prize money was still a thing in Royal Navy by 1910, being fully abolished only in 1948. The standard practice around 1910 and throughout WWI was to pay 5 per every man aboard a sunk enemy ship, so, for example, a battleship with a crew of 453 would be worth 2,265 - quite a considerable sum, equivalent to about 253,612 in the present day. Prizes were awarded only for confirmed kills and were split between all ships present in the action to avoid the lengthy legal disputes between captains that had often plagued prize courts in earlier ages. Every man aboard a victorious ship was entitled to an equal share regardless of rank. Such high-value kills were obviously very rare and only happened during major naval actions, where pay an individual sailor received was further diminished by the great number of men entitled to a share present. So the likeliest to receive sizeable individual prizes were the crews of commerce raiders who were the likeliest to engage in one-on-one actions. On the downside, since prizes were paid on the basis of enemy crew size, the ones earned by commerce raiders would usually be quite small.

That said, it wasn't the prospect of prizes that enticed men to enlist in the Navy, especially in times of peace where claiming any was very unlikely. Most ordinary sailors came from the urban poor - for them, a steady pay and guaranteed three meals a day was already a dream come true. In the class-stratified British society, the Navy was also one of, if not the most meritocratic establishment where talented men of the lower classes had a chance to advance above and beyond their station. Lastly, service in the Royal Navy was traditionally considered a prestigious and respectable job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast