Stir crazy...

Thread: Stir crazy...

Blog Entries

Stir crazy...

Well someone had to say it. If we didn't realise the importance of books, or rather access to, via public libraries, before the cv lock-down we sure do now. Yes of course the libraries had to shut down but..... ARGH!!! Life without books. And this is only the beginning.

Kind of makes you realise the awfulness of so many old people home alone in their own private isolation-hell before the outbreak.

There a few things that I can do on the gardening front, not that I'm any sort of a gardener, but until my hands heal up I'm stuck.

And once again, it's blowing a gale outside.
    Last edited by dither; March 28th, 2020 at 07:45 PM.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

There are plenty of on-line libraries. Project Gutenberg had thousand of public domain books for free.

And the link in my sig leads you to a wondrous collection of e-books instantly available for a very modest price...
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

Blog Entries
    I worry about free on-line libraries, Amazon is a place I'd rather go and that's just me but thanks for the info RWK.

The wind is still howling out there and I worry about the damage it might cause but at least the sun is shining.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Dither, there shouldn't be too many worries with online libraries, they're pretty much city brick-and-mortar libraries that have digital collections that they've placed online. I've been borrowing audiobooks for most of the last year from my local library network which are nice if I want to listen to a book while I'm crocheting or cooking or driving. A lot of libraries have made it easier in the current time to get borrowing access to their digital collections, it really is worth checking out. They also have ebooks if you don't mind reading on a screen (not my favorite but any port in a storm) and some have movies to stream for free, too.

It sounds like we're having very similar weather, it was stormy all day yesterday, dark and rainy and thunder rolling up and down the ridgeline all day. Made it easier to just be at home. I hope everything stays where it should be in spite of the wind there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that Foxee, I used to read books online many years ago, an online university-library I think, can't remember now, but with all the modern technology that we have at our finger-tips there's nothing like holding an actual book and reading it. I shall have to look into this eventually. And yes, I hope everything stays where it should be to. All those recent storms of the past and now this. Life eh?

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    I agree! Last night when the electricity started flickering I thought, "Oh no, not this too"

Actual printed books are still by far my favorite. My house is full of many of them that I bought in a weak moment (I have a lot of weak moments) and haven't had time to read. So I'm unlikely to run out of things to read until about...2022 I think? I mean, they won't all be novels, I might learn some things but that wouldn't be so bad.

Is gardening your main interest? I remember reading a little piece from you about your enjoyment of walking and observing things, I liked the tone of it.

My sympathy regarding your hand injuries and hope for quick healing.

Blog Entries
    Foxee, I don't actually OWN many books although, it's funny, I always dreamed of living in a house with my very own private library, but, as I've aged.......... oh I don't know, once you've read a book, you've READ it. Having said that, when this isolation thing started, out of desperation, I read one of my wife's books. I am sure that I'd read it before, an autobiography, but It read as though I'd never laid eyes on it before, so, again, I don't know. I'm currently making a list of books that I've read and enjoyed, borrowed from the local libraries, with the intention of maybe eventually returning to them in the hope that I won't remember the details of the story-lines.

Gardening, for me, is a necessary evil. I have absolutely no idea of how to grow things nor would I wish to. It was always my wife's domain and now she is becoming increasingly less able to keep it going I am more than happy to give it regular soakings with weedkiller. My most pressing concern right now is a small shed, barely big enough to house a few forks and spades, that has become hidden beneath a mountain of climbing Ivy. As soon as my hands heal up, and it's not serious, just a few small scratches and grazes, keeping them clean and allowing them to clear up, I shall get out there and get it done.

The "piece" that you referred to, you remember it? How long ago was that? if I remember correctly, was due to another battle with the dark-green-leathery-leaved monster. I avoid doing anything in the garden when neighbours out in their gardens and so, if/when I work out there it's at first light and, with the right weather, it can be very enjoyable, good, quality, thinking time I think.

Jeez! Don't I go on sometimes.

As I type this I can hear the rumbling of the wind. Fingers crossed eh?
    Last edited by dither; March 29th, 2020 at 04:51 PM.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    I mainly remember it being a post about your observations when out walking, it had such a nice tone and was interesting. I hope you win your battle with the ivy!

Books just seem to proliferate...I didn't remember buying this many, honest.

We're headed out for a walk in the gusting wind. Cross your fingers that we don't get blown away.

Dither, please be safe.

I've donated and given away so many books over the years. I once took like, three truckloads of books to Goodwill. I also donated thousands of books to the local library, when I lived in Tennessee.

Just finished the book I started this morning. It's been decades since I've had the time to finish a book in one day!