Subjectivity of Grammar - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subjectivity of Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Did i write that? Yeah, the first one is noticeable, i'd agree that tense changes are a black and white case.

The second looks fine to me: i get exactly what the author is trying to convey. I would also be fine with a comma in place of the semi-colon. As i understand it grammar serves understanding, and in both cases i understand the intent. But that may be my ignorance about correct usage - what is the grammatical error in that sentence?
    That I can understand what the author is trying to convey does not make it grammatical, when the baby says "Me want" and reaches I know what they mean, but it is not grammatical. Can you really not see that you have left words out of the second example?

It took me ages to undo his bad habits. That is at least half the reason I’m so far behind.

Put them in and I think it is neither a comma or a semicolon that really fits.

If it was your post I was looking at I would also mark you down for not capitalising 'I'. If you let things slide when you feel they don't matter as much it will reflect when it does matter.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Ah yeah, i remember this story now. In this instance the SpaG had the least variance of all the sub-sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Can you really not see that you have left words out of the second example?

It took me ages to undo his bad habits. That is at least half the reason I’m so far behind.

Put them in and I think it is neither a comma or a semicolon that really fits.
    I'm not exaggerating when i say that the difference between verbs and adjectives is as much formal grammar as i was taught. I go entirely on what sounds right.

I'm not sure that the above passage is the best example as it's written in the first person. Even now, having had the exact grammatical errors pointed out, i would still go with the original wording: the POV character was supposed to be rambling a bit. I guess this is where the subjectivity comes in that others have alluded to.

I was hoping that a lifetime of reading had given me enough of an intuitive understanding of grammar that i could get away with it. I don't mind breaking the rules, but it would be nice to know i'm breaking them.

But where to learn - any recommendations?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12