KDP Select Question for Those Experienced

Thread: KDP Select Question for Those Experienced

KDP Select Question for Those Experienced

Hey all! Quick question about the Amazon KDP Select program. If you agree to it and you decide you want to print copies of your book, are you obligated to use CreateSpace (Amazon's direct print) because of Select exclusivity? I originally turned down Select for this reason and because I wanted to keep my book perma-free through price math (oh boy, what a mistake THAT was), but I'm rethinking now. I'm not even sure if I can still enroll in Select. I guess I'd have to take my book off of Barnes and Noble's Nook servers, which aren't doing me any favors anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me? Does enrolling in KDP Select obligate you to use CreateSpace to print your book?

Thank you!
    Justin
    Take your plotting skills to the next level with my intensive course! Hidden Content
    Get your writing analyzed by a published author, licensed teacher, and nationally certified English tutor Hidden Content
    Download my ebook, Strand: the Silver Radio Hidden Content
    Keep being awesome, and write on! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Attas View Post
    Hey all! Quick question about the Amazon KDP Select program. If you agree to it and you decide you want to print copies of your book, are you obligated to use CreateSpace (Amazon's direct print) because of Select exclusivity? I originally turned down Select for this reason and because I wanted to keep my book perma-free through price math (oh boy, what a mistake THAT was), but I'm rethinking now. I'm not even sure if I can still enroll in Select. I guess I'd have to take my book off of Barnes and Noble's Nook servers, which aren't doing me any favors anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me? Does enrolling in KDP Select obligate you to use CreateSpace to print your book?

Thank you!
    Justin
    Being in Select, IIRC, means that Amazon is your sole marketing agent, so basically, yes.

Although CreateSpace gone, absorbed into Amazon.

I don't really care because so few people buy paperbacks in my genres.

Yeah, to go into Select you would first have to pull away from other outlets, but IMO it is worth it.
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

No, Select is just for e-books. It has no connection to print books.

Thank you for the insight! I didn't know createspace was no more. That's really all I was worried about, since I heard there was much better printing software out there. Thank you!
    Take your plotting skills to the next level with my intensive course! Hidden Content
    Get your writing analyzed by a published author, licensed teacher, and nationally certified English tutor Hidden Content

Thank you for letting me know! Super excited to join select now. Maybe I'll actually sell some damn books lol.

Bayview is absolutely correct.
    Kindle Unlimited (aka KU-KOLL) only applies to digital versions of your book.
    With KU-KOLL they demand exclusive content during the signup period...which starts over every 3 months.
    But you can still sell print copies of your book all over the place, and even have multiple print sources.
    I sell print copies through Amazon, D2D*, Ingram, Smashwords*...

*Vendors like D2D & Smashwords publish your book with about a dozen different sources that sell to libraries and other institutions. Ingram is the print publisher previously used by B&N.

Thank you for the info! I've heard of ingram and smashwords. I will be looking into these when I'm ready to print. Have to turn that coveted profit first somehow. You know how it goes.

But keep in mind that KU-Koll can make you some scratch. Also, when you are enrolled in KU you get to run a free advertising campaign every signup period. you have a choice of a countdown deal, or free books giveaway (each runs for 5 days.) You can drum up reviews thataway.

Select is only ebooks, and you can't list digital anywhere else. Any where. Read the Help pages at KDP, you will learn so much there.

Create Space is long dead, there's a print option in KDP.