Reader Pet Peeves + Writer Choices

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reader Pet Peeves + Writer Choices

Reader Pet Peeves + Writer Choices

As a reader, what's a specific pet peeve that always bothers you in a story?

As a writer, how do you avoid making this same literary mistake?

A writer who clearly has no concept of the life/culture/circumstances he or she is depicting.

I write what I know, or what no one knows (fantasy, zombie outbreaks, etc)
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

That is one that drives me crazy. That and people who write characters who just don't act like real people. It's like... have you ever met a real human being before? Ever?

Political rants. The USA seems a pretty divided place these days, so if you're not careful you risk alienating half your potential audience. It's ok to have a POV, but IMO it should be approached tangentially.

Twice I've purchased book that had an interesting premise, and were pretty good for the first 10% or so - then launched into a rant about a particular demographic. Both times I've set the book aside and given the book a 1 star rating along with a scathing review on Amazon.

Yep. The only time I have a character express his political/societal views, is when I'm writing a particularly twisted character who has a similarly twisted view of the world.

Blog Entries
    Anything that throws me out of the story such as characters who step out of character but not for effect. For instance when a male writer is in a feminine POV and she is getting carefully dressed and coiffed to go to a dinner party that is high-class and significant to her husband's career, she does not "mess with her hair". (I'm lookin' at you, Sidney Sheldon!)

Boring writing. I just don't have time for a book that isn't interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Political rants. The USA seems a pretty divided place these days, so if you're not careful you risk alienating half your potential audience. It's ok to have a POV, but IMO it should be approached tangentially.

Twice I've purchased book that had an interesting premise, and were pretty good for the first 10% or so - then launched into a rant about a particular demographic. Both times I've set the book aside and given the book a 1 star rating along with a scathing review on Amazon.
    I only do that in my period works (one in 1912, one in 1878 ). And then only in small doses, to impart the sense of the period.
    Last edited by RWK; March 21st, 2020 at 05:14 AM.
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post

That's one of the fastest ways to get me to put down a book and never pick it up again. I'm reading to be entertained, not to be preached to. The more obvious your preaching, the less interested I am in sitting through it.

I feel like writing has ruined a lot of my reading enjoyment in general. Things like small inconsistencies, redundancies, overabundance of -ly adverbs, as well as the larger story problems like unlikely twists and illogical endings, all jump up out at me now. I may as well read with a red pen in hand and make corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I feel like writing has ruined a lot of my reading enjoyment in general. Things like small inconsistencies, redundancies, overabundance of -ly adverbs, as well as the larger story problems like unlikely twists and illogical endings, all jump up out at me now. I may as well read with a red pen in hand and make corrections.
    Me too. At times I'll even hi-lite errors. The book I'm currently reading has an interesting plot, but has too much telling - right in the middle of a rescue I get a detailed explanation of how the tether rigging works, which really slows the pace of something that would otherwise be exciting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast