Copyrighting a book of monologues

Thread: Copyrighting a book of monologues

Question Copyrighting a book of monologues

I'm wanting to publish a book with original monologues in it. When I went to copyright.gov it says if you have a group of things to be published, you can publish them in 10's. So, if I have 60 monologues in my book....does that mean I have to pay $55 X's 6 ($330) so that it covers all of the monologues in said book? Or, because they are all in a book with it's own title, does that mean I can just pay the $35 for the book to be covered under copyright?

I'm self-publishing through amazon with paperback and kindle if any of that is relevant.

Thanks!

This is not a direct answer to your question but from the type of questions you are asking, it appears you are very new to this and therefore vulnerable to possibly wasting a good chunk of your money, if not falling victim to one of the many scams out there that prey on new authors. Those of us who have been around awhile see that happen over and over again.

Therefore, I would encourage you to wait, not buy anything, sign anything or do anything at this time except hang around on some writing forums and get a better idea of the "lay of the land" before proceeding with publishing your book.

But if you insist on registering your book with the US copyright office, it says ONE per book, not one per monologue contained in the book. Best wishes.
    Last edited by Ma'am; March 20th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

Hmmm... Thank you for responding...I've read so much on the Amazon site and online that I was confused. I thought you had to get your works copyrighted before you could publish them. I am very new to this. So, most likely I'm incorrect with my assumption. I did sign up for a LCCN for my book though, again from just reading and trying to do the right things...I'll look around this forum a little more. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by garebear08 View Post
    Hmmm... Thank you for responding...I've read so much on the Amazon site and online that I was confused. I thought you had to get your works copyrighted before you could publish them. I am very new to this. So, most likely I'm incorrect with my assumption. I did sign up for a LCCN for my book though, again from just reading and trying to do the right things...I'll look around this forum a little more. Thank you!
    By 'origional monologues' do you mean monologues that you wrote?
    Never pet a burning dog.

You technically hold copyright from the moment your work is in some physical form. But, to obtain better results if suing for infringement, it's best to have registered your copyright. You don't need the Library of Congress stuff. They won't accept self published work anyway, from what I've been told, so why bother?

Go to some sites like Joanna Penn's, read up on things. There are others that are trustworthy. Stay away from anything that tells you how to become a Kindle millionaire, or that promises easy, passive income from self publishing. It's all a scam, mostly to get them rich from your money.