Help with my setting - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with my setting

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Larnwick, Lucania

I kinda wonder if reading or watching a bit of steam punk might help. It has a sci fi take rather than magic but does blend real world with fiction in a way that could be riffed on. Also, as you write it new ideas will flow and something is bound to set you off on a more confident course.
    Good luck
    BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Elric View Post
    Help! I知 brand new to this site! I came here to get help with my writing.

My story is about a 16 year old boy named Marco. After two year痴 of training, he finally got his mages license, allowing him to join a guild (which are less like unions and more like clubs or sports teams).

But setting is the main thing I知 having trouble with right now. I kinda want to do a fictional setting, as I have free reign over magic and such. But I also want real world references and it wouldn稚 make a lot of sense for a completely fictional world to have real world references. Right now I知 going with a fictional country in the real world, but I知 not certain yet.

I知 also having trouble incorporating magic like I want it too. Magic is a well known thing in this universe, but I知 not sure how to incorporate it in a urban fantasy style world. In case your wondering, it does not quite take place in the modern day, likely it will take place during the 1980s-1990s.

New kid here. But this is close to my heart because I've also wanted to write something like that, though I never got round to it. I've noticed that in many successful novels, the writers answered the question, "If magic could do this, what would it change?". In order words, how your world overlaps with the real one will depend very much on the rules of your magic. If it's costly and awkward to use, science may very well be the way it is now and magic an abandoned practice. If it's near omnipotent, the world might still be very medival because there was no need for scientific development. An example of an in-between would be Lilith Saintcrow's series (can't remember what it's called; one of the titles was the Red Plague). Strongly relevant magic, set in what appears to 1800s steampunk London.

Sounds like you want to set the story in something like our world but evolved from a Lord of the Rings type of history instead of our real world history. Why not build a society where those old fantasy stories were that world's history? Like, what if Merlin was a real person who was fundamental in creating the foundation of present-day magic? That would be an interesting angle to explore and you could add in little details like what people think about UFO sightings or Santa Claus. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Not_certain_of_anything View Post
    Sounds like you want to set the story in something like our world but evolved from a Lord of the Rings type of history instead of our real world history. Why not build a society where those old fantasy stories were that world's history? Like, what if Merlin was a real person who was fundamental in creating the foundation of present-day magic? That would be an interesting angle to explore and you could add in little details like what people think about UFO sightings or Santa Claus. Just my opinion.
    Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate or give examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Seems to me like you would get more bang for your buck by using the real world.
    For one; less research and story-boarding.
    Secondly, you can use the contrast between the two worlds to have some fun. For example; in a store you would have muggle products on the shelf right next to the magical-user's versions (which would be radically different.)

Think of how they merged real world with fictional in Roger Rabbit. There you were in 1940s America, and no one seemed to think anything out of the ordinary about animated characters wandering the streets.
    I知 kinda thinking having anybody being able to learn magic, but not everyone knows how to use it. How can I incorporate it into a real world?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123