Collaborations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collaborations

Collaborations

Has anyone experience with writing in collaborations?

I imagine it would be quite a difficult creative endeavour, but with the potential to be worthwhile.

Might be an idea for LM or Lean and Mean.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Has anyone experience with writing in collaborations?

I imagine it would be quite a difficult creative endeavour, but with the potential to be worthwhile.

Might be an idea for LM or Lean and Mean.
    I've done quite a few, but poetry only. It's a good challenge, the results can be surprisingly good (and sometimes bad).

I've worked with someone on an idea I had, that we both worked into a poem.
    Also, we rewrote an existing poem of mine, and that one was used afterwards in the Limelight interview with me. And sometimes we do a line each, which often results in the strangest concoctions ever

Jack of all trades had experience with this. He helped me with a short story. Interestingly he worked at a zoo once. I got tips on what do at certain points. He told me to introduce a character and brainstorm. He gave opinions on my ideas. I eventually wrote a story on a zoo with that being the world building. That's my experience anyways. Also, since I am a special case. He gave feedback on the grammar when read back.

So it can save time before writing about something. As the idea the collaborator will say for example: that is interesting and I would read that. Or simply say that won't work before its even started. In other words evaluate the ideas before the writing starts.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; March 2nd, 2020 at 03:08 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

My wife wrote a book with her best friend many years ago, where they alternated chapters and viewpoint characters. Plot-wise, I suppose it was good enough, but it was pretty clear that two different people with two different styles were writing the chapters.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

Blog Entries
    I have a collaboration partner who I found after I had sworn off collaboration efforts because they never went well. This friend and I met doing play-by-post roleplaying games on forums, ran our own site for a little while, and eventually when our members all got busy with new jobs and things (they were almost all college age) we started collabing for fun. I'd say we created some great stuff though we tended to bail on a story when it got difficult so we didn't end up with finished manuscripts.

At this point we both have been working on becoming better writers in our own right and working on our own endeavors but we would like to revisit collaborating again and maybe actually finish, edit, and publish.

I've read a few collaborated novels:

Don't Look Down by Jennifer Crusie and Bill Mayer. I could see the changes in authors but it was a fun story and didn't bother me much.

Crimson Shore by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Pro writers. I have the feeling that their collaboration is one of challenging each other with trippy ideas and then having to make it work. Kind of like Improv. Very much enjoyed this. Part of a series.

An Anonymous Girl and also The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. Another seamless duo, gripping stories, I was very surprised to read a good use of 2nd person writing in Anonymous, very effective.

Very intriguing idea of an LM...that would be a challenge for sure.

The only collaboration that i remember reading is The Difference Engine: i thought the characters were more fleshed out compared to William Gibson's past offerings, so it seems it can be done well. draw on both author's strengths.

It would be indeed be interesting and worth maybe a unique lm category. But it's time-consuming to judge I bet (many competitions are on the website but it can be added to the calendar as a regular prompt. Here is why imo). As I was one time a teacher, it's an excellent way to pair students with different abilities. Those who can mentor others. Well I am weak at plotting...I am weak at characterization... I am weak at wold building...I am bad at grammar.

It's why people do collaboration in schools in groups. It's a very good idea if it were eventually implemented. Mentoring is done indirectly. It accomplishes the goals of learning indirectly by having someone who is more knowledgeable of the two help. In schools they usually used jungian types for learning, sensing versus feeling..

https://www.scholastic.com/parents/f...ng-styles.html
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I've done quite a few. The lot of these projects started off as RPs, gradually evolving into novel-size and quality stories. Writing a collaborative project as an RP is great, because you can focus on specific characters, get truly immersed into their personalities and way of thinking without having to worry about everyone else in the story.

april?
    LM?
    *has done several*
    *with kewl results*

" I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Did they do pairing of writers to collaborate to write an entry to the competition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast