Coronavirus related conversation - Page 8

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

Joke for people in New York: The CDC announced that while face masks are ineffective at keeping you safe from the virus, scientists have discovered that you can achieve 100% protection by using plastic bags.

*waits for laughter to subside*

Thank you. I'm here all week.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    Joke for people in New York: The CDC announced that while face masks are ineffective at keeping you safe from the virus, scientists have discovered that you can achieve 100% protection by using plastic bags.

*waits for laughter to subside*

Thank you. I'm here all week.
    They've also discovered that if you drink bleach, you'll be cured of the virus.

Don't talk to people who are sick. Drops fall when you are talking invisibly even without sneezing or coughing. Avoid buses, cars, with people with the virus. Run and get away from them by avoiding them altogether. You can not be at an arm's length or in front of a person who has the virus and who is speaking with you. Covering your eyes with googles is helpful if you don't want the plastic suit to wear or the mask. Lots of people who have no signs or symptons of coughing or sneezing can infect a person just being in contact with them it was said by a doctor I overheard on a cellphone.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

My particular reality is that I have no savings and I was living hand-to-mouth anyway in a month-to-month struggle. As this escalates my income will likely plummet, that's if I'll even be allowed out after a particular point is reached. I'll likely be on close to nil income at some point. Mortgage and bills won't be paid. The vehicle lease won't be paid, so my means to earn a living will probably be taken away. The next time someone judges a guy on the streets, remember that not everyone is there due to self abuse.
    I was in the process of selling my flat in order to become debt free or close to it ,and was looking forward to it in a bizarre way, but I can't see anyone buying now and I can foresee prices crashing anyway.
    I'm fucked.
    There will likely be a point where my internet access is from the local library - if it's open and if they let a smelly dosser from the streets in.
    Getting killed by some virus doesn't feel too unattractive right now. That's not a hint at feeling suicidal, so don't misinterpret it please, but my life could be changing dramatically over the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    My doctor told me this morning that if you're over 80 and you contract this virus, regardless of the modern health care standards and modernity of your country, the odds are about 95% that it's going to kill you. It's that virulent and that 'efficient' at its work. Her advice to us older folks? Stay home. Period. And watch the news. Wash your hands with soap and water--never with the gel hand cleaner stuff you see everywhere. Phone your doctor about any other routine health issues, rather than visit the office. If you are in this elderly group and you permit your family dog or cat to lick your face (so cute!) . . .stop that!! The Bubonic Plague in Eurasia and Europe, 1347 - 1351, killed 100 million (yes, Virginia, that is million) people. So, esp. if you're elderly, take heightened precautions about hygiene and restrict contact with groups as much as possible. Just makes sense.
    Your Doctor is on drugs, or you are.

It's not a 95% death rate for the eighty plus. It's 15%. Keep in mind most of that data is based on China, which is hardly a modern country in regard to healthcare access for most people.

Gel hand cleaner (sanitizer) isn't as good as proper use of soap and water, but it's a solid alternative when those are not conveniently available -- which is the only time most people use it. Saying 'never use hand sanitizer' makes no sense. Use it when out and about and wash your hands the rest of the time.

There is no evidence that dogs or cats can spread it. And certainly no evidence it would be from them licking your face. Although animals licking anyway is gross.

There are no useful numbers for how many people bubonic plague killed. Estimates range from 25 million to 200 million, most in the 50 million average. In any case, bubonic plague is a bacterial infection, so it's an entirely different thing to a virus, with very different infection rates, causes, treatments, etc. Worrying about a modern virus because of a Medieval disease doesn't make much sense IMO.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    My particular reality is that I have no savings and I was living hand-to-mouth anyway in a month-to-month struggle. As this escalates my income will likely plummet, that's if I'll even be allowed out after a particular point is reached. I'll likely be on close to nil income at some point. Mortgage and bills won't be paid. The vehicle lease won't be paid, so my means to earn a living will probably be taken away. The next time someone judges a guy on the streets, remember that not everyone is there due to self abuse.
    I was in the process of selling my flat in order to become debt free or close to it ,and was looking forward to it in a bizarre way, but I can't see anyone buying now and I can foresee prices crashing anyway.
    I'm fucked.
    There will likely be a point where my internet access is from the local library - if it's open and if they let a smelly dosser from the streets in.
    Getting killed by some virus doesn't feel too unattractive right now. That's not a hint at feeling suicidal, so don't misinterpret it please, but my life could be changing dramatically over the next few months.
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Phil.

My concern with coronavirus is 100% the economy, right now. That is, I think the virus itself is far less dangerous than humanity's reaction to it. The fact nobody is even talking about this stuff is crazy. There's no way closing down all the restaurants, stores, bars, hotels, whatever isn't going to have some terrible long term consequences. I'm not talking about the stock market (though for most American's that's a big deal) but the simple fact that many/most small businesses and self-employed individuals don't have the cash reserves to simply close up shop for two months. My father-in-law's business is 100% based on retailers making money to pay him and he's shitting bricks.

I'm tempted to say I'll pray for you, but if there is a god this is His fault. So, fuck the asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Phil.

My concern with coronavirus is 100% the economy, right now. That is, I think the virus itself is far less dangerous than humanity's reaction to it. The fact nobody is even talking about this stuff is crazy. There's no way closing down all the restaurants, stores, bars, hotels, whatever isn't going to have some terrible long term consequences. I'm not talking about the stock market (though for most American's that's a big deal) but the simple fact that many/most small businesses and self-employed individuals don't have the cash reserves to simply close up shop for two months. My father-in-law's business is 100% based on retailers making money to pay him and he's shitting bricks.

I'm tempted to say I'll pray for you, but if there is a god this is His fault. So, fuck the asshole.
    As someone who had the grave misfortune to be raised a Jehovah's Witness and has been an atheist for many years, I don't believe in God - not even an arsehole of a God. However, I'm acutely aware that that my early conditioning can occasionally turn severe difficulties into an Armageddon syndrome.

The current reactions by many governments could easily trigger another Great Depression.

If I'm allowed out to work over the coming months, if I'm still earning enough I may have to resort to mortgage and essential bills only - bollocks to the debts.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    All very true except for animals licking you. I have never caught anything from dogs. Whereas people have given me loads of ailments and definitely would never let another human lick my face or hands.
    Then you're on the same drugs as Clark and his Doctor, Biro.

Human beings are by far the cleanest of any common mammal in terms of oral bacteria. Science shows dog saliva as being a common means of human transmission for E.Coli, Salmonella, and a bunch of other parasites due to their consumption of feces. Cats don't eat so much shit, but have their own parasites -- cat scratch fever is a famous example.

Nope, it's gross. Unless your dog or cat stays indoors all day, refrains from licking their bottoms and balls, and cleans their teeth more often than you, you probably shouldn't be getting busy with them.

You wont be the only one and they wont be letting people starve or sleep on the streets en-mass. (Wouldn't get them re-elected).
    Tell that to the people who lived through the Depression.

But you forgot to tell me what humans saliva and other bodily fluids contain? By the way a relation of mine caught worms from another human after eating a shop sandwich. So don't forget the parasites as well.
    Lots and lots, but also we are immune to a lot of them, either naturally or from vaccination. Also, most of us have good sanitation.

If your relation caught worms from eating a shop sandwich, it most likely was from what was in the sandwich or because the person did not wash their hands after touching their bum. Either way, I believe most people wash their hands more frequently than most dogs do. You may disagree.

Over the years working on a farm, animals are treated for parasites regularly. They have to be otherwise they are no good. How often are people treated?
    Dogs and cats don't live on farms.