Coronavirus related conversation - Page 7

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

I've often thought how important the NHS is to the UK and the aparthy towards it by the publlic over the years while the Government has put money before health.......
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Can't trust Iranian or Chinese numbers. Italian numbers look FAR worse. The only cheerful views on this seems to be the almost universally wishing and hoping that the leaders, celebrities, or figures and such from whatever group(s) someone doesn't like contract the disease. This has shown me that the notion of putting aside squabbles or narrative gamesmanship for dealing with real problems is not something the vast majority of people are capable of, and I'd be a fool to throw in my lot with larger modern society. Glad I've stocked up well before this became mainstream. Probably won't be able to avoid this due to my daughter's age making her such a likely vector for exposure from peers. I think I'm just disgusted enough that I'll be just fine with watching the world burn at this point. Humanity finally broke me from my hope and respect for them. It's for me and mine now, and it wasn't fear of the virus, or supply chain break down, or economic depression that got to me. It's the casual and callous hatred and desire for the suffering of others as a bright spot clung to by nearly ever faction that seems to want to rule in hell rather than serve in heaven. We aren't worth saving.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Our town is now in lockdown before the dreaded Cv has arrived. Now we stay at home or only go to sit on the cliff tops in the car to see the sunset. No social interaction. Thank God we live on the edge of nowhere. Unlike Boris, Portugal is not waiting to see what happens. We have all seen what has happened in Italy, France and now Spain. A friends daughter was kicked off a campsite because Corona had arrived there and told to leave ... go home. I don't think some people appreciate how serious this is. Stay safe everyone.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Seems like now there is no conversation that doesn't include the damned bug. The way the hysteria has gone viral leaves even the idea of physical outbreak gasping to catch up.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

I'm looking forward to reading about this when it is all over if I don't die. Our governor (Ohio) was on Fox News today saying they believe 1% of people in the state are carrying the virus. I was the sickest I have ever been last week so hopefully I had it already and I'm not just going to get something worse in a few weeks lol.

For the worst two days, I couldn't read or play video games. I'm on the sofa watching documentaries about Kung Fu movies and famous power lifters and shit. I'm watching anime. I'm watching Star Trek the Next Generation. Sick.

My doctor told me this morning that if you're over 80 and you contract this virus, regardless of the modern health care standards and modernity of your country, the odds are about 95% that it's going to kill you. It's that virulent and that 'efficient' at its work. Her advice to us older folks? Stay home. Period. And watch the news. Wash your hands with soap and water--never with the gel hand cleaner stuff you see everywhere. Phone your doctor about any other routine health issues, rather than visit the office. If you are in this elderly group and you permit your family dog or cat to lick your face (so cute!) . . .stop that!! The Bubonic Plague in Eurasia and Europe, 1347 - 1351, killed 100 million (yes, Virginia, that is million) people. So, esp. if you're elderly, take heightened precautions about hygiene and restrict contact with groups as much as possible. Just makes sense.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    My doctor told me this morning that if you're over 80 and you contract this virus, regardless of the modern health care standards and modernity of your country, the odds are about 95% that it's going to kill you.
    Hi Clark. I'm wondering if there was a misunderstanding between yourself and your doctor. The figure I read the other day was 15 or possibly 20 per cent death rate for the over 80s with this infection. That's still not great but a hell of a lot better than 95%.

I saw that figure on the BBC website, and found similar on this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    And watch the news.
    Wonderful idea if you want to be terrified and/or depressed all the time.
    Wash your hands with soap and water--never with the gel hand cleaner stuff you see everywhere.
    Why? I really dislike hand sanitizer but it has alcohol in it. If a coronavirus zombie sneaks up and licks me at the grocery store you will see me bust open the hand sanitizer station at the entrance and take a bath in the stuff. It's still better than nothing if that's what you've got at the moment.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

It seems to me that if you wore any kind of face mask, you'd be better off than without, since air flow is going to take the path of least resistance, which would be around the mask rather than through it. Some might still get through, but most would go around.

And if you have the virus and wear a face mask, if you cough or sneeze, the air coming out of your mouth is going to be slowed down dramatically by the mask, even if it's just a dust mask.

Everyone in China's cities pretty much is wearing a face mask, and that could be why the spread of the virus is slowing. Those aren't N95 respirators; they're just cheap face masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    It seems to me that if you wore any kind of face mask, you'd be better off than without, since air flow is going to take the path of least resistance, which would be around the mask rather than through it. Some might still get through, but most would go around.

And if you have the virus and wear a face mask, if you cough or sneeze, the air coming out of your mouth is going to be slowed down dramatically by the mask, even if it's just a dust mask.

Everyone in China's cities pretty much is wearing a face mask, and that could be why the spread of the virus is slowing. Those aren't N95 respirators; they're just cheap face masks.
    And they tell you to keep your hands away from your face, your mouth. The mask would certain help with that.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.