Coronavirus related conversation - Page 5

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCalliganWrites View Post
    A month worth of food can be purchased pretty economically. Mine is all rice, dried beans, canned vegetables / meat, and butter in the freezer.

Edit: Actually, I forgot to pick up butter. I still need paper products as well. I did manage to get half a dozen bottles of wine and some boxes of stove top. Plus I have my big ol' blue water barrel from Field and Stream, though I should get another.
    Yep, we also stocked up on wine, gin and tonic.

Toilet rolls? I don't understand why people are panic buying toilet rolls in the UK. I must have different priorities.

Now we are all self-isolating I expect plenty of creative works to be posted to WF and lots of submissions to Flashes.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Yep, we also stocked up on wine, gin and tonic.

Toilet rolls? I don't understand why people are panic buying toilet rolls in the UK. I must have different priorities.

Now we are all self-isolating I expect plenty of creative works to be posted to WF and lots of submissions to Flashes.
    About this self-isolating: I wonder if I'll notice a difference.
    I think the bog roll stockpiling was because some people couldn't get hold of tissues, so bog roll is a substitute.

Biro, I remember fish n' chips wrapped in newspaper! Now it comes in 'twee' polystyrene trays
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Ah, I see. Bog roll= toilet paper. Got it.

All true.. But at least I have my flu jab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Do you know how many people die of the flu every single year? Fifty thousand, on average, every year without fail.

The coronavirus has not even killed five thousand.

Do you worry about the flu killing everyone? No, you don't, but looking at the above figures you probably should. Why don't you? Because every news station, newspaper, and radio isn't constantly talking about the deadly flu. If they were, you wouldn't leave the house.

The coronavirus is an example of conversion disorder, also known as mass hysteria, and I guarantee you in three months' time no one will be talking about it. It'll have died and we'll never hear of it again. Just the same as swine flu, avian bird flu, and the Ebola Zaire scare of a few years back.

Stockpiling beans and rice (and coffee) is always a good idea. Of course, a steady diet of beans and rice, and you'll be able to produce your own methane for powering small appliances and such.
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    So after reading the daily newspaper in days of old it was used as toilet paper, something to wrap the fish & chips in, light the fire, put down on kitchen table when polishing boots, and as a cat/puppy litter..........plus many more things.
    u.
    Don't forget the bottom of the bird cage. That's one I remember.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

I arrive at my client's house this morning and the first thing she does is squirt hand sanitizer on me. She doesn't even wait for me to put my hands out. It gets all over my jacket and drips on her dog. Then she goes back on Facebook to read about how there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

If I hear one more PSA about washing my hands for thirty seconds or covering my mouth when I cough I'm going to implode. I've yet to hear one word of advice about maintaining a healthy lifestyle to keep your immune system strong.

Raw garlic is the best for bolstering your immunity and protecting yourself against infections. Yogurt is good, too, as are mushrooms, onions and foods rich in vitamin C.

Proper sleep is important, too. So is avoiding stress.

Long term use of hand sanitizer has been linked to a compromised immune system. It can also dry out your hands, causing tiny cracks to form in the skin which would render hand washing pointless.

I say embrace the virus. It could be up to a year before a vaccine is available. If you're not elderly or otherwise at high risk, why not allow your body to vaccinate itself? Go catch a bus and lick everybody on it. You might even make a friend! Then, buy some ice cream, go home, switch on your Netflix and wait for your body to produce its own antibodies.

Or, you could just coat yourself in rubbing alcohol and wrap yourself in plastic for the next twelve months.

Each year, hundreds of people die due to complications from the common cold.

Jeez.

Well, I'll have you know, my mother washed my mouth out with soap all the time when I was a boy. In fact, she did it so much, I've rarely ever been sick!
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

I got a b+ I think years ago when I saw my kindergarten report card for washing hands. It was in the basement of an old house with books but then but you still should get something from this grade notification.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)