Coronavirus related conversation - Page 39

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2931323334353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

Blog Entries
    A crisis brings out the best in good people and the worst in bad people.
    ~ Irwin

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    So perhaps you're talking about motivation, maybe that's a better word than reason in this case.

My own personal observation together with just logic of how things work is that
    delivery workers,
    nurses,
    health care support workers,
    caregivers,
    assembly line workers for medical equipment (my area has several companies that do this),
    restaurant take-out and drive-thru workers,
    grocery cashiers,
    grocery restockers,
    and other essential functions
    were already often staffed by the 20-30's age group. Especially as it was commonly thought that 20's-30's would be safer than the oldest/youngest/complications groups.

Between the unwise (spring break and Mardi Gras) and front-line workers who aren't at home (types of jobs mentioned above) the one-third of severe cases make sense because, yes, these are the people exposed.

Let's not forget that 20's and 30's are often also starting families so that they have young ones at home. Moms (Yes, personal observation for me, too) are at home with young children, sanitizing everything. Maybe one parent is in the 'essential' worker group and they're glad to have a paying job right now.

I just can't go along with the assumption, though, that as a group the 20's-30's are selfish and uncaring. As with any group there are individual motivations and situations.
    I hear what you are saying, that most of our current work force is in this younger age-group so we have to respect that. I get it. And I don't mean to be casting generalizations about age groups. But it is worth considering that when they are generally mingling with the population at large, like shopping or going for a walk, they have to be as diligent as anyone else at social distancing because they could be contagious without even showing symptoms. It's matter of social responsibility.

I had an incident two days ago where I was biking up a road that's closed to cars but open to pedestrians. The road is wide enough for parties of three to pass with at least 3 metres between them. But it's a mountain road with steep cliffs on both sides, so no way to step off the road. There was hardly anyone on the road. I came up to a group of 3 hikers in their late 20s to early 30s who were sprawled across the middle of the road leaving me only a couple of feet on either side to pass. I stopped and asked them to move to one side so I could all pass safely. The were seriously offended and at first refused to move. I said "don't be a dick, there's lots of room. Right? Just move over and let me pass." Eventually they did but not without hurling insults at me. This incident has tainted my normally tolerant attitude toward people in general.
    Last edited by TL Murphy; March 30th, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post

I just can't go along with the assumption, though, that as a group the 20's-30's are selfish and uncaring. As with any group there are individual motivations and situations.
    But unfortunately Foxee some are. Also there are some old people who are nasty pieces of work as well. But I havent seen any reports of old codgers going around coughing on young un's and licking and spitting over supermarket food...........yet.

Yoga has saved my back and saved my knees and now it is saving my mind. I attend yoga classes online through zoom from my living room. Today, my yoga teacher had some wise words. He said, "for a number of weeks now, we have all been running on adrenaline. We can't run on adrenaline anymore. We will lose our minds if we do. We have to come to terms with the idea that this is the new normal and will be for the unforeseeable future. We don't know how long this will last. We just have to relax into it and be okay with it for awhile. However long that might be." This is akin the zen or zen-buddhist concept I've been trying to study recently of trying not to bring all issues back to the self. How do you do that? You do it by trying not to be too concerned over the outcome of any particular action or situation. This doesn't mean you stop caring or stop trying. It means you focus on the notion that the practice is more important than the result. This is how we stay in the moment and not get caught up in anxiety about the future.

Here's a link if anyone is interested https://zenstudiespodcast.com
    Last edited by TL Murphy; March 30th, 2020 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post

We all know the virus comes from China.
    We all know the virus seems to have first been a problem in China. But "comes", in present tense? Nope. Travel from China was shut down weeks ago. It's not coming from China anymore. It's coming from all of us, in our own countries.

And in terms of being namby pamby? I'm always surprised by people who spend time on a writers' site but don't acknowledge the power of words.

Blog Entries
    Just got this in - some general observations - sounds O.K. to me - but judge for yourself
    May be it can be helpful to somebody

From FB, looks genuine but you may wish to prove its authenticity yourself.

The following is from Irene Ken, physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University.
    * The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
    * Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
    * The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).
    By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
    * HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
    * Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
    * Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
    * Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.
    * NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.
    * NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only
    -between:
    -3 hours (fabric and porous),
    -4 hours (copper and wood),
    -24 hours (cardboard),
    -42 hours (metal) and
    -72 hours (plastic).

If you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.
    * The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.
    They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
    * UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.
    * The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
    * Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
    * NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
    * LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
    * The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
    * You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
    * You have to moisturize dry hands from so much washing, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.
    * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

Copy and paste. Pass it on.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

BOBO is an abbreviation for BOurgeois-BOhème Hidden Content
    Lighten up, there – things look different in Light than in Shadow Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    We all know the virus seems to have first been a problem in China. But "comes", in present tense? Nope. Travel from China was shut down weeks ago. It's not coming from China anymore. It's coming from all of us, in our own countries.

And in terms of being namby pamby? I'm always surprised by people who spend time on a writers' site but don't acknowledge the power of words.
    Oh really. Words and people twisting them around?

The virus started in China and infected the world. So it is a 'China virus' or may as well be called that. Just as Irish stew comes originally from Ireland and French onion soup comes from.....wait for it.....somewhere in France originally.

Not saying the country word will not improve the soup or the stew.

In this case trying not to say where a virus came from or not calling it such will not stop people doing what they would have done anyway being as they are already like that.

The power of words? I think the power of video showing what goes on in that country of question with animals is a lot more powerful and a hell of a lot more incentive to dislike those particular people if you are of such a persuasion.

Still if you can think of nicer words for barbecuing and skinning animals alive, torturing bears to extract more bile for some hairy fairy cure, or even eating bats and other creatures alive...........then you carry on with your powerful words.

You wont change what people think of such a country.
    Last edited by Biro; March 30th, 2020 at 08:37 PM.

Oh dear dear

@biro We all know the virus comes from China.

actually we all don't

some of us know it came from other places

and as for your Brave leader calling it that
    with his track record with truth yup it came from some wheres else
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Quote Originally Posted by Gofa View Post
    Oh dear dear

@biro We all know the virus comes from China.

actually we all don't

some of us know it came from other places

and as for your Brave leader calling it that
    with his track record with truth yup it came from some wheres else
    Well if your accuracy of the origins of this virus are as accurate of who my brave leader is then god help us all !

But are the origins of the real problem in question not with a virus but with a leader?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    Eventually they did but not without hurling insults at me. This incident has tainted my normally tolerant attitude toward people in general.
    Ugh! I am right with you on this, I have a low tolerance for that kind of behavior virus or no virus. Just know that instead of arguing, I would hope that what I've said might be taken as a little encouragement that not all humans act this way. We have that unfortunate subset but all is not lost. Not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    But unfortunately Foxee some are. Also there are some old people who are nasty pieces of work as well. But I havent seen any reports of old codgers going around coughing on young un's and licking and spitting over supermarket food...........yet.
    Oh I know, Biro, that's a creepy sort of behavior that's coming out of this. A store here in my state of Pennsylvania had to throw away $35,000 worth of produce because some woman was walking around coughing on everything. On purpose, like it was some delightful prank.

I don't doubt the darkness lurking in human nature at all, it's why we lock our doors, it's why we hold our children's hands, it's why we have to have security and metal detectors and situational awareness. It's why at times the innocent suffer at the hands of the evil and it's why we need, at times, to be ready to defend ourselves and the weaker among us.

Unfortunately, complaining won't do much, blame either. Indignation feels pretty good for about five minutes before it burns out to bitterness.

So why, Foxee, why write this, what's the point? What can writers do?

Write.

It's harder than bitching and moaning and blaming but challenge is good. Write for catharsis, write for escape, write to distribute knowledge, write to find a sense of wonder, write to encourage other people.

And this goes for other artistic disciplines, too. Most of us are enduring a kind of dormancy right now but that's when a plant gathers up resources to burst out in its time.

Don't let fear of that dead thing, that protein molecule, rob you of real life.

Okay, I'll get down from my soapbox. (for now)