Coronavirus related conversation - Page 29

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19212223242526272829303132333435363739 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

It is more important you understand how to protect yourself than watching the death toll rise. For example do you know how long the virus remains on a surface IF it has been contaminated etc. Research and stay safe.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I've heard that coughing into an elbow can be much healthier than coughing into a hand. In the market, I've been coughing into other people's elbows. It seems to help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Every day there has been an announcement of the number of deaths in the last twenty four hours, Yesterday was 87, up to a total 433. But there has been no announcement today. I am wondering why and fearing the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    Hoping for good news, any sign that they, the powers that be, are gaining the upper hand.
    I've heard it's way down - 27 fatalities or something, where before it's been a steady exponential curve. That's way down from the general trend.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Pip, I clicked on the link in your post, It said that the message cannot be displayed, but I will use the address to research it, thank you
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

87 to 13 did not seem right, but now the Govt. are saying 52 ?? I do hope it really is dropping, but I kind of doubt it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    87 to 13 did not seem right, but now the Govt. are saying 52 ?? I do hope it really is dropping, but I kind of doubt it.
    I think they are updating the numbers as the day goes on, so earlier in the day it appears as if there are fewer deaths that day but it's not the full day's count.

Blog Entries
    "moths-eff-ker"

LOL
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Rant warning:

I tend to lean more toward not letting people die, though I do find it irksome how many of the 'stay at home!' brigade or the 'this is tolerable! see!' brigade are not people whose existences are necessarily on the line to begin with. To many working class people, this is a choice between being burned to death or drowned.

The Mayor of New York Andrew Cuomo is a good example of this in action. He is standing there, quite eloquently and in many respects quite correctly, jabbering about the importance lock downs and saying he will take responsibility for the economic outcome of his decisions. Yeah, but he won't actually, will he? Not really. Worst case scenario, he'll lose a future election (unlikely in NYC anyway) and look kind of bad. But he wont starve. He wont lose his house. He doesn't have to worry on that level.

I'm not saying that such people are not sincere or that this isn't a big deal or that a lock-down isn't totally necessary (it demonstrably is). What I am saying is that the people who just want to go back to work and to hell with it are not necessarily idiots. They are not necessarily selfishly wanting to spread the disease and strain the services or whatever else. They are simply people who have no choice.

As it stands, Congress has failed to act, I am unaware of any major country where people are being given the necessary economic security to do what they are being asked/mandated to do. The result is one big political/class-based blame game. If you're working in a relatively secure industry and can operate from home then great...but you don't really have the right to pass judgment on other people. Some people were already underwater before this started. It is the height of tea-sipping liberal self-righteousness to write those people off as assholes.

We need to be more empathetic.