Coronavirus related conversation - Page 11

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus related conversation

Cat playing tic-tac-toe during coronavirus quarantine

(Scroll to third pic down on left side. To the video that says at the top "how's self quarantine going?")

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainmen...antine-1341848

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Also, people who kiss their dogs, knowing full well that their dogs lick their own ass and balls, are in a real panic to buy hand sanitizer. Really, you'd think they'd be after the mouthwash, but I''m the asshole for pointing that out.

Also, all of this antibacterial crap that people are buying: A bacteria is not a VIRUS. A decent, even cursory, microbiology class would do miracles. /smh..
    Literally just back from the store and the shelves are empty of, wait for it...toilet paper. There is a part of me that is hoping this really is the apocalypse so I can watch all these data points from the left side of the intelligence bell curve try and eat their stock of Charmin.

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

Okay now that it's been mentioned - what is the deal with the toilet paper? Went to the store on Sunday morning and saw a completely empty aisle where toilet paper used to be. Little signs hung on empty shelves, saying "limit of two." Someone strolled by with a cart and said there was toilet paper at the end of the aisle. So we went and found some of the stuff that your fingers poke through, even when its not wet. Then a boy came by with a loader full of the expensive, ultra big rolls, extra wide and expensive TP. The type of paper I never buy at $14 a pop! But I bought one - and I wasn't even at the store to get toilet paper! My friend bought two of them, right off the loader. What is wrong with us? I don't even know why everyone is so hyped about toilet paper, but I guess I must have felt like I was missing something, or missed some kind of important government report that said TP was in short supply and would be for the next 100 years. LOL!

I felt like Elaine (You have to be older to get this)

When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    What is wrong with us?
    Beats me, I didn't think that I was freaking out over TP but when I found that the grocery store had some I still felt like doing a firedance in the endzone. When I brought a package home I was hailed as a conquering hero.

For anyone who wants numbers, a friend linked me to a tracking dashboard that gives info on the virus spread worldwide from Johns Hopkins: COVID-19 Global Cases

There is a store chain (one that I didn't even know was still around, Woolworth's) who started offering an 'Elderly-only' shopping hour to help seniors get what they need.
    ETA: I just saw that Dollar General (the dollar store here that pops up in random places as though to take over the world) is setting aside the first hour after they open for the elderly now.
    Last edited by Foxee; March 17th, 2020 at 03:42 AM.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Okay now that it's been mentioned - what is the deal with the toilet paper?
    There was some theory that it was related to TP being a good substitute for Kleenex.

Personally, I think it's nowhere near that rational. I think it's kind of 'stampede syndrome'. Basically, nobody had any idea what to buy -- because we aren't used to this kind of thing -- and were not sure of the symptoms. So a handful of people started loading up on toilet paper. Toilet paper usually comes in very big packages. It is very visible in a grocery cart, a very 'visual' indicator of 'hey I'm stocking up on this stuff!' Somebody with a ton of pasta you may not notice but somebody walking out of a store with twenty big packs of toilet paper looks like a walking iceberg...

...So a few more people started buying it in huge quantities. Not necessarily a lot of people, but it isn't something most grocery stores necessarily have a massive stockpile of in the first place. It's not milk or bread. So, suddenly there are empty shelves.

It then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. People who on the one hand KNOW it's not necessary start to buy it because suddenly it's hard to get hold of. It's scarcity makes it valuable.

Much the same is probably true for how gold and silver became valuable back in ancient times: It was already somewhat useful, somewhat scarce, somewhat valuable...so people started hoarding it more and more, which made it incredibly needed, incredibly scarce, and extremely valuable.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

For all of our "civilization" and "progress," humankind really hasn't progressed beyond the level of a common beast, for the most part. We'll cooperate with each other if it's to our own benefit, and we'll collectively respond to peer pressure, but our altruism and all of the other high-flung philosophical crap just collapses when people don't know where their next meal or paycheck is coming from.
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

For all of our "civilization" and "progress," humankind really hasn't progressed beyond the level of a common beast, for the most part. We'll cooperate with each other if it's to our own benefit, and we'll collectively respond to peer pressure, but our altruism and all of the other high-flung philosophical crap just collapses when people don't know where their next meal or paycheck is coming from.
    Hey, take a breath. Have a cookie. Go for a jog. All is not lost. Yeah, there's some slime in the milk of human kindness sometimes and it's best not to trust people indiscriminately. But for all of that there are still people pushing against that, doing things that benefit others, not for gain.

Humans are tuned to the channel of self, it's true. But some overcome that.

And the sun's out (here anyway). Free irradiation. Have you had the bike out?
    Get ready for the

Foxee, you're right: I'm going for a ride.

Foxee, you're right: I'm going for a ride.
    I'd join you but I dunno how I'd stay six feet away on the same bike. Social distancing is the pits!
    Get ready for the

Okay: Time for some GOOD news!

1. China has closed down its last corona virus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

2. Doctors in India have been successful in treating corona virus.

3. Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against corona virus.

4. A 103-year old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China

5. Apple reopens all 42 stores in China

6. Cleveland Clinic developed a Covid-19 test that gives results in hours; not days.

7. South Korea reports that numbers of new cases are declining.

8. Italy is hard hit, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

9. Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a corona virus vaccine

10. 3 Maryland corona virus patients are fully recovered and have returned to everyday life.

11. A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

12. Tulsa County's first positive Covid-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

13. All seven patients who were being treated at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.