Putting the Aden Emergency conflict in my story

Thread: Putting the Aden Emergency conflict in my story

Putting the Aden Emergency conflict in my story

Since this is fantasy mixed with science fiction is it ok that I use this conflict in my story that happened in the 60's?

And will it get too controversial if I had a British soldier fall in love with a middle eastern woman and have a child together? Their daughter would end up in some secret governed military or the British military after her parents are killed.
    Last edited by Breadcrumbs11722; February 28th, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadcrumbs11722 View Post

And will it get too controversial if I had a British soldier fall in love with a middle eastern woman and have a child together?
    What on Earth is controversial about that?

Because of the war conflict and I don't have much knowledge about the circumstances.

Blog Entries
    Because of the war conflict and I don't have much knowledge about the circumstances.
    If the feeling that you need more information is what is stopping you, then it's time for research.

Since this is fantasy mixed with science fiction is it ok that I use this conflict in my story that happened in the 60's?

And will it get too controversial if I had a British soldier fall in love with a middle eastern woman and have a child together? Their daughter would end up in some secret governed military or the British military after her parents are killed.
    There's no controversy; I can think of two men who married German women who they met in WW2 while on active service. One of them lived around the corner from me when I was a kid and I still bump into one of the sons from that marriage occasionally. The other marriage was one I wasn't aware of until I was older, but I was a good friend of the son from that marriage too. If I am personally aware of two such instances, I imagine there were quite a few. And, of course, there were British women who moved to America after WW2 after meeting American soldiers who were stationed in the UK during the war.
    Last edited by Phil Istine; February 29th, 2020 at 11:06 AM.

This helps so much. Thank you for that info

Why wouldn't it be? There is a long precedent of alternate-universe stories using real-world events, sometimes putting a different spin on the outcome of the event based on the context of the story. One example would be the graphic novel Watchmen, which took the real events of the Cold War and Vietnam war and extrapolated how differently those would have turned out if a super being (Dr. Manhattan) intervened on behalf of the United States.

Alternately, many stories, even science fiction ones, have characters that participated in or are a product of real historical events. These stories don't necessarily alter the outcome of those events, but the main character may be somehow influenced by them ("scars of the past," for example).

We have a long and rich history on this planet, and it all has built in authenticity because it actually happened.

These are great examples. I'm also working on making some of these events closer to being like secret histories where they could of happened but brm unknown to the public. I just can't seem to fix my family tree which is stopping me from going further

Besides what other posters have said, it's your story, your characters. Based on actual events or not, the backdrop mustn't be main character, for that, you go to the History section in your local library. Independent of where the inspiration comes, it's your story that matters.
    Also, your stated point of controversy is what makes the story interesting, as it generates conflict.

Banned
    Then do some research and go on from there, not hard at all.