Being Your Character - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Being Your Character

As mentioned borrowing characters from a work in the public domain and changing it to suit your needs seems to be good advice. Or combining them also seems solid and better. Or wherever the imagination takes you.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

When you base characters on real people, they come with a complete set of values and habits.
    But when you create characters from scratch, those things develop slowly over the course of the first 100 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    When you base characters on real people, they come with a complete set of values and habits.
    But when you create characters from scratch, those things develop slowly over the course of the first 100 pages.
    Don't just steal real people, that's lazy writing, just be aware of how real people work so that when you create your own versions, they appear believable and your readers won't immediately recognize that it's just plot convenience. It's the people who have no clue how real people work, who are simply operating from pure fantasy, that create bad characters like Mary Sues.

Yes and I push myself to think in ways other then my own thought patterns. It is not easy and I have a habit of writing characters that have similar views as me. Also, I find when I read other peoples work, I am attractd to characters that think like me. And again, that is limiting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123