Interview with Cindy Adame (Gumby)

Thread: Interview with Cindy Adame (Gumby)

Interview with Cindy Adame (Gumby)

Hi Cindy! Tell us a little bit about yourself! From your Amazon bio: "Recently retired, she has decided to persue a lifelong passion to write." So to that first dreaded question: Where does your lifelong passion for writing come from? When did you fall in love with the craft and what about writing has sustained your interest over the years?

Gumby: Life has changed so much for me since that bio! I retired in 2009 which corresponds with my finding this forum. Having been a life-long avid reader, I naturally (and foolishly) thought I would be able to write a novel myself, which lead me to search out a writing forum for the nuts and bolts information of the whole enchilada.

I came here and instantly fell in love with poetry and the process of writing a poem. I would have to say that this forum and the people I've met here have been the biggest driving force that has sustained my interest, to be honest.

The poets who have come through the door of WF have been amazing! I have learned so much from so many! I've also learned that the learning never ends. You don't just suddenly become, you are continually becoming.

Many forum members will know you mostly for your poetry...what specifically about poetry-writing do you enjoy and why?

There is something very cathartic about writing a poem. Not only does it give you a healthy outlet for release, it is also very satisfying to do so and know from a readers comments that you are understood.

That's the biggest compliment you can receive and it underlines a shared humanity. When I read a poem that makes me reach down deep, makes me feel and understand something about myself, it is humbling and exhilarating all at the same time.

Poetry is one of the few artistic ways I know of that brings out such a deep emotional connection and response, and like all good art, it is like turning a mirror on yourself and seeing in a way you may not have done before.

Are there any particular poets or types of poetry you particularly admire and why?

I'm pretty much an equal opportunity reader when it comes to poetry. I enjoy most types of poetry and find that my mood dictates what type I seek out. I can't say that I have a favorite poet, per se, but I became an admirer of Poe at a very early age after reading a collection of his poems and short stories in school. His poem, Alone, has always been a favorite of mine.

What makes a poem resonate for you?

That's not something I can easily explain. It is an intuitive feeling that the poem creates in me, a connection that I have no control over. It is either there or it is not. Something inside of me 'feels' the poem and has an emotional response, an answer if you will. The poem sends out the query and my psyche answers.

It sounds corny, I know, but a poem has to speak to me. Or maybe it is the other way around and I have to speak to it? We bring so much of ourselves to a poem that it is a legitimate question to ask.

When I read a poem I want to experience a sense of discovery. I like to be surprised and not know exactly where it is going until it reveals itself and even then I find that the poems which really draw me in are the ones that I continually find new tidbits in, with each subsequent reading. So I guess you could say that I am a sucker for poems that are deeply layered.

Do you look for imagery, rhyme, meaning, all of the above, or something else entirely?

Those are all lovely to find in a poem and I admire when someone weaves poetic devices skillfully and organically into a poem, to the point that it isn't something you notice until a second or third or subsequent reading.

Are there any specific themes that tend to draw you more than others?

Sure. Like most poets I tend to be drawn to the darkness of human nature and overcoming that darkness.

For a beginner who is still creating their 'identity' as a writer, what would you say is unique about learning to write poems?

Maybe the ability to distill something down to its absolute core. To see the extraneous and know what should be cut, even if it sounds good and makes us sound like the deep thinker we all want to be. This is something I am still working on, by the way. I still feel very much like a beginner.

Are there any forms of poetry that you think are more 'beginner friendly', such as haiku, sonnet, villanelle, etc?

For me, form poetry is much more difficult than free verse. Though I will say that for a beginner, learning to write a Limerick can help hone your ear for rhythm and syllable count. I think that there is merit in learning to write all kinds of poetry and I so admire when I see it done well.

I was interested to see in addition to poetry you have also published children's fiction. What led you to write kids books?

I wrote those years ago for my grandchildren, specifically. It was a way for me to connect with them and entertain them at the same time. Especially 'Abi see, Abi have, Abi do'. My granddaughter was such a funny little character and she loved having a book written just for her and her little world.

Life intervened in the middle of another book I was writing for another granddaughter and I've not gotten back to it, though I still have that one mostly finished. It is a 'Someday' project that I would like to return to when my life has settled down, you know...someday.

As a parent, I am constantly mortified at the quality of many children's books I come across. I feel that preschool kids particularly are often very badly served by the quality of books that adults are buying for them. What do you think makes a good children's book and how does this compare with what is out there nowadays?

Kids love to laugh and I think any good children's book should make them laugh and imagine silly situations that can also teach a bit of a life lesson. It doesn't have to be anything earth shattering, but kindness, love, compassion, understanding, responsibility, these are all good things that make children grow into decent human beings.

I don't like children's books that are too much of a Politically Correct statement or Social Justice Warrior activist type of book. Those can all come later in a child's development. Let children be children before you start putting the weight of the world on their shoulders.

What are you currently working on? Do you have any upcoming releases you would like to tell us about?

Honestly, I am working on nothing these days. I have had to move in with my mother and care for her. She has dementia and is failing terribly. It has knocked the stuffing out of me, I will admit. I do from time to time squeak out a poem, but it has to come to me and demand I release it. Otherwise it all takes a back seat to what my life has become, until my current situation is settled.

Regarding Writing Forums, What made you want to purchase Writing Forums? Seems like a lot of work!

Money did not change hands. Cran passed the forum on to those he felt would care for it best. I guess you could say that Writing Forums was purchased with blood, sweat, tears and time. And yes, is a lot of work!

Carole and Darren put in much more time than I do, currently. We all have our niche and we try to work to our strengths. We completely trust each other to do what is best for the site and we share a vision for its future. Honest discussion is our greatest friend.

As a current co-owner, how do you feel the site has changed over the years and where do you see it going in the future?

The site has grown enormously since I first came here! We have all tried to improve and build on what came before us. As people change and the world changes, so do forums. Which only makes sense, yes? The people are what make a forum.

We've tried to push some boundaries from what they were, like relaxing the language restrictions. The world didn't implode as was predicted by some. We've had a Debate forum in the past and it was such a headache for our moderators, it was eventually removed from the forum.

Now weve brought it back, in spirit, and hopefully in a better form with the Inferno. It is not a moderated forum, so our mods aren't pulling their hair out trying to keep the peace and we are trusting our members to be adults and have adult conversations without resorting to asinine behaviors.

Only time will tell if it is a success or not. There was only one way to find out and that was to do it.

The future? Well, I can't say with certainty where that will take us, only that we will continue to strive for excellence in all ways.

On Amazon

Blog Entries
    Great responses Gumbs - very illuminating! And cracking interview Luckyscars; you put Bashir and Amanpour to shame. But the big question for Cindy, I feel, is: what exactly, is your opinion on cat gifs?

Lucky, question for you actually: I see you have a link to Kyanite Publishing. Is that your shop? Do you accept submissions for novels? I'm looking for some indie publishers (I think I mentioned this before) and am putting together a longlist.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Thank you, Luckyscars, for interviewing Cindy
    That was great to read.

Cindy, we share a love for poetry, and yeah, it's hard to put into words what exactly it is, yes? How you can sometimes become totally exhilarated by just a few words or lines.

It's great to work with you, in a team of three.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    And cracking interview Luckyscars; you put Bashir and Amanpour to shame.
    I don't know who they are but thanks...I think

Lucky, question for you actually: I see you have a link to Kyanite Publishing. Is that your shop? Do you accept submissions for novels? I'm looking for some indie publishers (I think I mentioned this before) and am putting together a longlist.[/QUOTE]

Lucky, question for you actually: I see you have a link to Kyanite Publishing. Is that your shop? Do you accept submissions for novels? I'm looking for some indie publishers (I think I mentioned this before) and am putting together a longlist.
    Naw 'snot mine, just one I'm publishing with.

[QUOTE

Kids love to laugh and I think any good children's book should make them laugh and imagine silly situations that can also teach a bit of a life lesson. It doesn't have to be anything earth shattering, but kindness, love, compassion, understanding, responsibility, these are all good things that make children grow into decent human beings.

I don't like children's books that are too much of a Politically Correct statement or Social Justice Warrior activist type of book. Those can all come later in a child's development. Let children be children before you start putting the weight of the world on their shoulders.

[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree, Cindy. There is so much pressure on young children now, no wonder many have anxiety issues. Children should laugh more and worry less about issues that are out of their control, or gender issues.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

But the big question for Cindy, I feel, is: what exactly, is your opinion on cat gifs?
    I happen to love cat gifs. No creature on earth can manage to look adorable, cuddly, aloof, disdainful and superior like a cat can. I have three cats, actually four as I care for mom's cat now, too.

Darren White

Cindy, we share a love for poetry, and yeah, it's hard to put into words what exactly it is, yes? How you can sometimes become totally exhilarated by just a few words or lines.

It's great to work with you, in a team of three.
    I have tried to put it into words, but always feel like I've missed the mark, Darren. It is always intuitive, first, then come the other, more cognitive senses.

And thank you! Yes, we are like the 3 musketeers: Gumbio, Pipio and Darrio!

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    [QUOTE

I wholeheartedly agree, Cindy. There is so much pressure on young children now, no wonder many have anxiety issues. Children should laugh more and worry less about issues that are out of their control, or gender issues.
    Yep. That will all come, in time. No avoiding it in this world, yes?
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

you make poetry read like a positive force over time....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    There's even a pointy stick
    Yes, and I believe you still have mine
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    you make poetry read like a positive force over time....
    Thank you, E. It's surely been a postlitive force in my life.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka