Putting the First Chechen War and Ukraine-Russia conflict in my fiction writings

Thread: Putting the First Chechen War and Ukraine-Russia conflict in my fiction writings

Putting the First Chechen War and Ukraine-Russia conflict in my fiction writings

The First Chechen Wars was in the 90's and the Ukraine-Russia conflict started in the mid 2010's. Putting either if these in my story with a fictional setting going to cause any debating issues? Which conflict setting would be easier to avoid controversy?

I would say either setting is controversial. The first by amount of civilian casualties and the second by the international dimensions of the conflict. (and civilian casualties which were lower than in the Chechen conflict)

I recommend to put these conflicts in the context of Russian expansionism after the collapse of Soviet Union. E.g:

First Chechen war from December 1994 to August 1996 - Over 80,000 civilian casualties
    Second Chechen war
    August 1999 to April 2009 - Over 80,000 civilian casualties and re-absorption of Chechnya/Ichkeria into Russia.
    Russo-Georgian war August 2008 - Loss of Georgian territory to Russia
    Russian military invasion of Ukraine from 2014 to Present - Loss of Ukrainian territory to Russia
    Russian military intervention in Syria from 2015 to Present - Thousands of civilians killed and damage to Syrian civilian infrastructure
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

I would do the Chechnya purely because those wars are really bizarre and fascinating, in my opinion. The Ukrainian wars might be interesting geopolitically but unless you are writing a diplomatic-thriller I don't see it producing much fruit. There's a lot of fodder for really killer, gritty war-stories in the Chechnya. There's a fairly famous photograph of a Muslim man praying on the streets in the middle of an urban warzone. Pretty spine-tingling stuff.
    Dead by Dawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    I would say either setting is controversial. The first by amount of civilian casualties and the second by the international dimensions of the conflict. (and civilian casualties which were lower than in the Chechen conflict)

I recommend to put these conflicts in the context of Russian expansionism after the collapse of Soviet Union. E.g:

First Chechen war from December 1994 to August 1996 - Over 80,000 civilian casualties
    Second Chechen war
    August 1999 to April 2009 - Over 80,000 civilian casualties and re-absorption of Chechnya/Ichkeria into Russia.
    Russo-Georgian war August 2008 - Loss of Georgian territory to Russia
    Russian military invasion of Ukraine from 2014 to Present - Loss of Ukrainian territory to Russia
    Russian military intervention in Syria from 2015 to Present - Thousands of civilians killed and damage to Syrian civilian infrastructure
    This might be interesting. This is a fantasy sci-fi by the way, which will have fictional events also take place like fictional bad guys. And werewolf soldiers. And my protagonists have werewolf genes. There will be wars from WWII and all through out the centuries? So could having all these events from the time when Russia collapsed be plausible to include?

I would do the Chechnya purely because those wars are really bizarre and fascinating, in my opinion. The Ukrainian wars might be interesting geopolitically but unless you are writing a diplomatic-thriller I don't see it producing much fruit. There's a lot of fodder for really killer, gritty war-stories in the Chechnya. There's a fairly famous photograph of a Muslim man praying on the streets in the middle of an urban warzone. Pretty spine-tingling stuff.
    The Chechnya does sound pretty intriguing. This will have fiction moments in the story. Meaning some fake bad guys, werewolf soldiers, mystic stuff like an urban fantasy with folklore and high tech environments so it's more action than a diplomatic thriller if anything. But the story will be true to the timing of real life events. If Chechnya has some interesting stuff I can put in it then I'd work on that and have it set in the mid-90's.

For the conflicts set more in the modern times and future, would places like Syria, Egypt and Ukraine work?

For the early-mid 1970's I was going to put Bangladesh or Cambodia but that might be too iffy and risky. So I might have some made up small islands near Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico in the 70's decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadcrumbs11722 View Post
    This might be interesting. This is a fantasy sci-fi by the way, which will have fictional events also take place like fictional bad guys. And werewolf soldiers. And my protagonists have werewolf genes. There will be wars from WWII and all through out the centuries? So could having all these events from the time when Russia collapsed be plausible to include?
    Sounds interesting. Which side would have have the werewolf soldiers? Or is it both? The WW2 history on the eastern front was especially gory with millions of casualties and insane levels of brutality, so you will have no shortage of material there.

Regarding the Russian collapse, do you mean the fall of the Soviet Union or something else?
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Does it have to be Russia, though?
    Personally, I don't see either the Chechen war(s) or the present day Russia-Ukraine conflict lending too much setting for the werewolf subject.

If you're fine with placing your events in the early nineties, how about the Balkan wars (the disintegration of Yugoslavia)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Sounds interesting. Which side would have have the werewolf soldiers? Or is it both? The WW2 history on the eastern front was especially gory with millions of casualties and insane levels of brutality, so you will have no shortage of material there.

Regarding the Russian collapse, do you mean the fall of the Soviet Union or something else?
    Both sides would have them. Well more like this girl who was a concentration camp victim is turned into a werewolf by the Nazis or she was discovered to of already been one when she was found by the Nazis and they just made their own werewolf soldiers which they created out of her. She would escape and join the allies in fighting against the Nazis and other werewolf Nazis. Other types of werewolves would exist from clans that had already been around before WWII even began so some could be from the Ally side and the Axis side but were kept in secrecy to avoid prosecution. The Eastern front like the Soviet territory would of also had certain types of werewolf clans living there in secrecy. Or maybe I should just say that the werewolves came from Germany and during WWII, they just started to spread to other territories, especially after the war was over like to the Soviets? I'm debating on it

In terms of the collapse, I meant after the fall of the Soviet Union in East Berlin. The events that take place after that.

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    Does it have to be Russia, though?
    Personally, I don't see either the Chechen war(s) or the present day Russia-Ukraine conflict lending too much setting for the werewolf subject.

If you're fine with placing your events in the early nineties, how about the Balkan wars (the disintegration of Yugoslavia)?
    You don't think the First Chechen Wars set mid-90's could be an interesting setting? The werewolves would fit well in Eastern European parts of the world wouldn't they? What if for the early to mid-90's I had all three settings since they all took place around the same time like the First Chechen War, Bosnian War and The Balkans with Yugoslavia all set around 1995?

Quote Originally Posted by Breadcrumbs11722 View Post
    You don't think the First Chechen Wars set mid-90's could be an interesting setting? The werewolves would fit well in Eastern European parts of the world wouldn't they? What if for the early to mid-90's I had all three settings since they all took place around the same time like the First Chechen War, Bosnian War and The Balkans with Yugoslavia all set around 1995?
    It could be a very interesting setting for a thousand different plots, but specifically in the werewolf context I find it dubious. Mainly, because its culture is largely based in Islamic tradition, and I am not very sure how you'll be able to reconcile that with the werewolves.
    Also, Chechnya is not Eastern Europe. It isn't Europe at all, being south of the Europe/Asia boundary line.

As for 3 settings, what are you referring to? Chechnya, Bosnia, and?.. The Bosnian war was a part of the larger conflict resulting from the breakdown of the Yugoslav Federation.

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    It could be a very interesting setting for a thousand different plots, but specifically in the werewolf context I find it dubious. Mainly, because its culture is largely based in Islamic tradition, and I am not very sure how you'll be able to reconcile that with the werewolves.
    Also, Chechnya is not Eastern Europe. It isn't Europe at all, being south of the Europe/Asia boundary line.

As for 3 settings, what are you referring to? Chechnya, Bosnia, and?.. The Bosnian war was a part of the larger conflict resulting from the breakdown of the Yugoslav Federation.
    I didn't know this about Chechnya. Thanks.

As for the breakup, I was thinking about Bosnia as it was a large conflict and could relate well to the story set in the 90's. And the breakdown of Yugoslavia might work.