the misnomer that platonic is???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the misnomer that platonic is???

the misnomer that platonic is???

Is the definition of platonic wrong or an over simplification of friendship? that is the question.

I tend to think so. to many people think that if you have a slight bit of the hots for your friend.. they are not a friend. then by definition can a bisexual or pansexual person have a friend. if the definition of platonic is correct then a pansexual person cannot have friends unless they find them ugly. which is sad because my male bff I like the way he looks and I am a guy{if you don't count my brain maybe}. to me this can you have a friend of the opposite sex is a stupid attempt at using a definition for trolling any relation. I ask because I watched a video were they go over the arguments that people of opposite sex or genders cannot be friends.. I just wanted to discus it. video below...

striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Well, people say a lot of things about a lot of things. But in my inexpert opinion, if you are not having any problems with this, then maybe you are doing just fine and don't need to worry about it.
    Last edited by Ma'am; February 21st, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

The word platonic ultimately comes from The Symposium written by Plato which follows Socrates and a number of other notables discussing the nature of love (the first text explicitly about love in Western literature). Homosexuality is just a norm in this text, so with regard to the original conception of the idea the nature of one's sexuality is irrelevant.

However, the word came into use via an Italian Catholic priest in the 15th century: it's possible it acquired homophobic connotations over that time, i'm not sure.

Well, first of all, I've had so many platonic girlfriends, it's been hard to count. I had a close platonic relation with a woman here even. Those of you that have been here for a few years or so know who I'm talking about. We still exchange E-mails by the way.

I never had much luck in the dating scene but I never hurt for the company of women. Even though women were never sexually attracted to me, they always felt comfortable around me and I had two women in particular that I socialized with regularly in my younger days.

More recently, I was reunited with perhaps the first of my platonic friends and we have a close friendship today. It's the only one I might say is complicated simply because I think I had feelings that were more than platonic in school, when we met.

Anyway, I don't think the definition of platonic is wrong. I'm living proof that you can have a friendship with someone of the opposite sex and not have any romantic intentions.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I've always thought the word "platonic" means a lack of sexual interest, usually between sexes. I've never equated to homosexuality.

not convinced a woman and man can be friends without a sexual tension somewhere....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

But then I cannot be friends with anyone unless they are ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by kunox View Post
    But then I cannot be friends with anyone unless they are ugly.
    Naw. You can be friends with anyone you want.

A few years back, the idea that no one is allowed to be friends with anyone they might ever want to date or who might ever want to date them, somehow became A Thing. With Rules.

However, it has always gone on and is not always a problem to those involved. And I think it's usually pretty obvious to both of the parties involved if one is a little sweet on the other. That kind of stuff is hard to hide. Either person involved can end the friendship if they don't like it.

So I wouldn't take this advice all that seriously.
    Last edited by Ma'am; February 21st, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast