Finally A Name.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Finally A Name.

  1. #1
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    2

    Finally A Name.

    So after many years of thought and research I've finally gotten a name for my series on paper and so without further suspense I bring you,

    The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden, Book 1: and then I need a little help with the actual sub title for the first book in the series. Oh well, progress has been made so I'm happy there. Has anyone else had to use both a series name and then a sub title for there book on here?

    I do have a sub title in the works but so far all's I've got is Book 1: Shattered Bonds./Breaking Gleipnir. I kind of like the first one for its simplicity and yet also the complex ways it can help convey the morals of the story. The second one seems a bit to on the nose for my liking.

    Oh well let me know what you guys think really quick.

    Edit: had to fix the name of the ribbon real quick.
    Last edited by Rojack79; February 14th, 2020 at 09:50 PM.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    So after many years of thought and research I've finally gotten a name for my series on paper and so without further suspense I bring you,

    The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden, Book 1: and then I need a little help with the actual sub title for the first book in the series. Oh well, progress has been made so I'm happy there. Has anyone else had to use both a series name and then a sub title for there book on here?

    I do have a sub title in the works but so far all's I've got is Book 1: Shattered Bonds./Breaking Glepher. I kind of like the first one for its simplicity and yet also the complex ways it can help convey the morals of the story. The second one seems a bit to on the nose for my liking.

    Oh well let me know what you guys think really quick.

    A personal preference is that I like titles to be as snappy as practically possible, and I sense that yours has one adjective too many. The Knight and the Wolf Maiden feels a little better to me. I can't even offer a concrete reason for that opinion, only that it feels better.


  3. #3
    I really like both "The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden" and Book 1: Breaking Glepher. The saga or series title is fairly typical fantasy choice but that's not a bad thing; I don't think being too creative here would serve you as it would potentially alienate your readership. The Book 1 title, well - I don't know what Glepher is so that makes this unique and curiosity-inducing right off the bat. Good stuff


    Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge


    Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

    *

    Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

    *

    C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!





  4. #4
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    A personal preference is that I like titles to be as snappy as practically possible, and I sense that yours has one adjective too many. The Knight and the Wolf Maiden feels a little better to me. I can't even offer a concrete reason for that opinion, only that it feels better.
    Hmm yeah that is definitely easier on the mouth & it does have a certain feel to it that I can see and feel as well.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  5. #5
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I really like both "The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden" and Book 1: Breaking Glepher. The saga or series title is fairly typical fantasy choice but that's not a bad thing; I don't think being too creative here would serve you as it would potentially alienate your readership. The Book 1 title, well - I don't know what Glepher is so that makes this unique and curiosity-inducing right off the bat. Good stuff
    I'm glad I could give you some curiosity on the subject and I had to make quick correction with my title and thanks for your feedback.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  6. #6
    Hmmm...

    White Knight and Wolf Maiden.

    Why use The?

  7. #7
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    Hmmm...

    White Knight and Wolf Maiden.

    Why use The?
    Honestly my brain found it more fitting to use the "The" in the title, however seeing how much better it sounds without the excess verbiage is making me rethink my title.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  8. #8
    A couple of thoughts. Firstly, it's not terrible. Secondly, just because it's not terrible doesn't mean I love it.

    My first reaction to "The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden" is, as Phil mentions, it is a bit of a mouthful. That's not necessarily a problem, but I am confused by it. It sounds like it wants to be contrasted somehow, but there's no contrast between 'white' (a color) and 'wolf' (an animal). I almost want it to be something like "The White Knight & The Dark Maiden". Of course, it's not my story, and I have no idea what it's about, just spit-balling.

    Second, I find the title a little problematic from the standpoint of association. Referring to women as 'maidens' is a bit of a minefield because it's a term fixated on the idea of female virginity and sexual purity, a term that obviously isn't in common usage these days and is a little loaded.

    I get that it's fantasy and your world may well have that term existing more commonly, but we're talking about a title, something that appears removed from context, and some may draw some unfair conclusions from its use. Likewise, 'white knight' has taken on a particular connotation removed from fantasy (a 'white knight' is a term for a male faux-feminist) and, even that aside, is undoubtedly a very dated, cliched term in fantasy.

    Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with it, but I tend to think a title should be something that attracts as many people as possible (or at least doesn't draw undesired assumptions) and I see this title as being very male-oriented, very old-school, and for that reason can't say it makes me think this is going to be anything other than a revisit of fantasy staples -- based on the title alone.

    ETA: Have you considered just The Knight & The Wolf?

  9. #9
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    A couple of thoughts. Firstly, it's not terrible. Secondly, just because it's not terrible doesn't mean I love it.
    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    My first reaction to "The White Knight & The Wolf Maiden" is, as Phil mentions, it is a bit of a mouthful. That's not necessarily a problem, but I am confused by it. It sounds like it wants to be contrasted somehow, but there's no contrast between 'white' (a color) and 'wolf' (an animal). I almost want it to be something like "The White Knight & The Dark Maiden". Of course, it's not my story, and I have no idea what it's about, just spit-balling.
    Yeah I can see the mouthful as well now.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Second, I find the title a little problematic from the standpoint of association. Referring to women as 'maidens' is a bit of a minefield because it's a term fixated on the idea of female virginity and sexual purity, a term that obviously isn't in common usage these days and is a little loaded.
    You are not far off. The title is ment to represent the two main characters, one a holy knight paragon of his faith and the other a werewolf who hasn't yet given her virginity away waiting to find her soul mate.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I get that it's fantasy and your world may well have that term existing more commonly, but we're talking about a title, something that appears removed from context, and some may draw some unfair conclusions from its use. Likewise, 'white knight' has taken on a particular connotation removed from fantasy (a 'white knight' is a term for a male faux-feminist) and, even that aside, is undoubtedly a very dated, cliched term in fantasy.
    completely understand how some could take it out of context but I've resigned myself to not giving a hoot about the PC wave that's been sweeping the U.S. as of late.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with it, but I tend to think a title should be something that attracts as many people as possible (or at least doesn't draw undesired assumptions) and I see this title as being very male-oriented, very old-school, and for that reason can't say it makes me think this is going to be anything other than a revisit of fantasy staples -- based on the title alone.
    Againyou aren't wrong. It's an almost by the books fantasy but I decided to have some fun with my world see what would happen if all of the ancient mythological gods & goddesses were real people.

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    ETA: Have you considered just The Knight & The Wolf?
    I have to admit that the title is simple and to the point. I shall most definitely take it to heart as I write this story.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  10. #10
    Member Tomkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Here & There
    Posts
    79
    In my ears sounds better The Wolf and the Kinght. Something about the melody of W and K.
    What about Lady Wolf and Mister Knight?
    it depends on the style of the writing I guess.

    You could also consider symbols who represent the characters instead of the category they fall in.
    i.e. The Moon and The Sword.
    Fangs and Steel
    Fangs and Shield
    and the like.

    You sounded very confident in your opening entry. We're giving you too many ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.