Undecided between two WWII female characters

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undecided between two WWII female characters

Undecided between two WWII female characters

For this story I have an American soldier during WWII that meets a woman that he falls in love with, having a child together. They met a few years before the war started when he moved back to the US when he was visiting Germany in the 1930's since his father worked as a diplomat there with the US embassy but once returned home he joined the US army.

Then when the war began he was shipped back to Europe and he saves the woman when she was held prisoner and she joins him on the team to fight the Nazis. This female character is supposed to be a werewolf. I'm debating on whether I should make her a Jewish German or a Romani. What would make the novel more interesting? Jewish woman from Germany? Or Romani woman?
    Last edited by Breadcrumbs11722; February 13th, 2020 at 07:52 PM.

Make her a double agent werewolf, pretending to be a Nazi, but secretly working for the Alpha whose plan is to kill and eat all humans, starting with the human Nazis.

"Monsters" among the Romani is kinda BTDT. A Jewish werewolf bemoaning the lack of anything kosher to eat might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCalliganWrites View Post
    Make her a double agent werewolf, pretending to be a Nazi, but secretly working for the Alpha whose plan is to kill and eat all humans, starting with the human Nazis.
    Ok but what background would be nice? German? Jewish? Romani? Swiss? American?

And the Nazis would be using the werewolf dna to create their own army. I have that so far in this novel.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    "Monsters" among the Romani is kinda BTDT. A Jewish werewolf bemoaning the lack of anything kosher to eat might be interesting.
    Really? I never thought of it that way. I always thought they were commonly associated as mystical, enchanting and as healers that possess very good qualities. What nationality or race would you recommend for this role that wouldn't be seen as overdone or offensive?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadcrumbs11722 View Post
    I'm debating on whether I should make her a Jewish German or a Romani. What would make the novel more interesting? Jewish woman from Germany? Or Romani woman?
    Romani originated in Rumania and have a werewolve tradition.

You might be able to work a Jewish golem in?

Quote Originally Posted by hvysmker View Post
    Romani originated in Rumania and have a werewolve tradition.
    I think they were originally from Northern India then moved to Europe centuries ago. Romanians are Eastern Europeans near Czech or Russia. Do you think if she's a Romani werewolf that would be offensive? Maybe I can come up with a better idea instead of werewolf like a resurrected demigod from Egypt like Anubis? It's like a dog or wolf but not like the savaging were beast in folklore. Wadda'ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by hvysmker View Post

You might be able to work a Jewish golem in?
    What's a golem? This story is supposed to be about werewolves. I'm not sure how a golem would play into it but if it's connected with monster folklore it might work. But the US soldier that's meets this woman during WWII is supposed to be some kind of werewolf that he has a child with. Should I think of a better background for her other than Romani or Jewish?

The Gypsies, aka Romani, have a rich tradition of divination and magic. In earlier times, they were the people to go to if you wanted to divine future, get a magical potion, have a spell or curse cast on someone, or just needed to heal a wound or illness and didn't have the means to pay a physician. So a Gypsy werewolf would actually kind of make sense. You could have the werewolf in question belong to a lineage of Gypsy werewolves, whose ancestors embraced the curse of lycanthropy in order to protect their clan from persecution.

I think a resurrected Anubis or a creature made in his likeness wouldn't really have much incentive to fight the Nazis or take up any other mortal cause. Being the god of the dead, his lot was to judge the souls of mortals of whether they were worthy to enter the afterlife, so his concern about the affairs of WWII would largely be limited to there being an exceeding amount of the dead to be judged. Which side they come from, matters not.

And my suggestion - stop worrying about being "offensive". The certain subculture of professional victims these days will find something to be offended and whine about regardless of your best efforts.

I guess I can use Romani then for the female werewolf he meets. And if she was from a lineage of Gypsy werewolves, her family or ancestors could of migrated to France or Germany but kept their clan secret to remain safe. She could then be captured by the Nazis when they discovered her lycanthropy but killing off her family and done experiments on her, using her dna. Does that have a good start?

I'll leave out the Anubis part.

I want to avoid as much offensiveness as possible but I know that's never going to happen. Why do some get so offensive if she's a good Romani? Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    A Jewish werewolf bemoaning the lack of anything kosher to eat might be interesting.
    Made my day!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast