Pre-plot character development - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pre-plot character development

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheThirdPerson View Post
    Oh sure. There's absolutely the danger of becoming too wrapped up in the world building. Or even using world building as an excuse to not actually write. At some point, enough is enough.
    Absolutely.

    World building and character development can be a maze that's tough to find your way through.

    What I do: I write a timeline of the world's history - and include things about the environment and culture (a lot of the culture never gets written down, it just stays in my head). For characters I write a brief description that includes their job (soldier, engineer, poet, etc.). Then I live with them inside my head for a while. During this phase they become real people to me, and develop their own personalities, quirks, and way of speaking.

    Admittedly I spend too much time on the plot - but I try to keep it to major plot points and character arcs.

    Then I start writing, and frequently all hell breaks out. Characters act out of character, new people show up out of the blue - it's like the parties I attended as a teenager. I like it when this happens, the unexpected adds flavor and really makes the story more interesting IMO. I'm NOT a pantster, so I don't allow my people to go too far off the rails, but the unexpected is always welcome.

  2. #12
    Member hvysmker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio USA
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    2
    Many are the times where I become so absorbed that I can't stop. I just have to find out how the scene ends. I'll start the process, add a character or two and a problem, then turn them loose while recording their antics.

  3. #13
    Member KHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by hvysmker View Post
    Many are the times where I become so absorbed that I can't stop. I just have to find out how the scene ends. I'll start the process, add a character or two and a problem, then turn them loose while recording their antics.
    The same here.
    Sometimes it even feels like they try something, look at me sideways, and ask, "If I go there, will that be too far?"
    And I say, "Nah, go for it. Let's see where it takes you."
    And man, does it take them places!

  4. #14
    I know where things go too far. I very distinctly recall someone recommending I did research in radiology when it came to the topic of mutants which made me in turn switch to genetic engineering, all before I switched to normal artillery when someone brought up nuclear winter. Mutants would have to take a good while to become common, and that's assuming they'd in any way be mutated in a way that doesn't just kill them. In other words my limit here is science that effectively prevents the while post apocalypse aspect from happening. There's appeal to realism and then there's not writing.

  5. #15
    Member hvysmker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Fremont, Ohio USA
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvaldez90323 View Post
    In other words my limit here is science that effectively prevents the while post apocalypse aspect from happening. There's appeal to realism and then there's not writing.
    If the story is in first person, he or she might have no idea as to what happened. They could wakeup one morning to find all or most people dead. If nuclear, electromagnetic pulses would have ruined all communication such as radio, telephone, and tv.

  6. #16
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,118
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvaldez90323 View Post
    I know where things go too far. I very distinctly recall someone recommending I did research in radiology when it came to the topic of mutants which made me in turn switch to genetic engineering, all before I switched to normal artillery when someone brought up nuclear winter. Mutants would have to take a good while to become common, and that's assuming they'd in any way be mutated in a way that doesn't just kill them. In other words my limit here is science that effectively prevents the while post apocalypse aspect from happening. There's appeal to realism and then there's not writing.
    As someone who is currently working on a post apocalypse story I can tell you that there are very few realistic ways to destroy the world and still have an interesting story especially if your going more for realism. But I can definitely give you some pointers when it comes to creating post apocalypse fiction.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    As someone who is currently working on a post apocalypse story I can tell you that there are very few realistic ways to destroy the world and still have an interesting story especially if your going more for realism. But I can definitely give you some pointers when it comes to creating post apocalypse fiction.
    I don't care for realism all too much, can't say for everyone else on these forums which I'd argue is unreasonable for a post apocalypse story. Though I respect realism's benefits, aspects of genetic engineering instead of mutants and military artillery instead of nukes give the world uniqueness to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.