Revelation 3:20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revelation 3:20

Revelation 3:20

It is written, Lord, that You
    stand at the door of our hearts and knock.

But what if the door has always been wide open?
    What if there never was a door?

And what if I have just as patiently been knocking
    at Yours?

What if the only thing that I long for-
    the only thing
    that could possibly quench this thirst-
    is just one glance? One touch?
    The smallest reassurance of Your love and care?

I have filled my pillow with anguish.
    How my heart has been flayed until my sole prayer is to not
    awaken in the morning.
    Day by listless day, I have wasted away, the strength in
    this body leeched to dust.
    Night by grief-tossed night, my bed is a crucible of lamentation.

OPEN THE DOORS!!
    COME ON!!
    LET ME IN!!
    HOW LONG MUST I RAIL AGAINST
    YOUR COLD DISTANCE!?

Please, won't You only let me love You.
    But for this, my life has no meaning.
    All that I am is Yours.
    And in the end,
    even this suffering is sweetest joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    It is written, Lord, that You
    stand at the door of our hearts and knock.

But what if the door has always been wide open?
    What if there never was a door?

And what if I have just as patiently been knocking
    at Yours?

What if the only thing that I long for-
    the only thing
    that could possibly quench this thirst-
    is just one glance? One touch?
    The smallest reassurance of Your love and care?

I have filled my pillow with anguish.
    How my heart has been flayed until my sole prayer is to not
    awaken in the morning.
    Day by listless day, I have wasted away, the strength in
    this body leeched to dust.
    Night by grief-tossed night, my bed is a crucible of lamentation.

OPEN THE DOORS!!
    COME ON!!
    LET ME IN!!
    HOW LONG MUST I RAIL AGAINST
    YOUR COLD DISTANCE!?

Please, won't You only let me love You.
    But for this, my life has no meaning.
    All that I am is Yours.
    And in the end,
    even this suffering is sweetest joy.
    The anguish of the Divine absence is one of those perennial themes in religion. He has vanished - ‘ne-elam’, as we say.
    But that anguish expressed in today’s language must be on the one hand heartfelt, yet on the other, not overwrought. I suggest a judicious cutting, an elimination of repetition, and an awareness of abstract cliche and mixed metaphor.

Perhaps the anguish can be concretised in one metaphor, and that single image elaborated.

These are only suggestions - your abandonment can only be expressed in your words - still:
    could the title be: Lord, you stand at the door of our hearts and knock.
    After all, those who know the Book will recognise, but the sentiment also stands without knowing it.

The stanza ‘What if the only thing...’ needs one strong image only, while the following one, though undoubtedly heartfelt, to me is overloaded with tired images - anguished, flayed, listless, leeched... To catch a twenty-first century eye one needs, yes, an acknowledgement of the tradition out of which the emotion arises, but one must add to that somewhat of newness.

You might like to look up the poems of R. S. Thomas...

Thank you. I'll definitely revisit this poem, and also look up R. S. Thomas. Much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

It reminds me of the Psalms in content and imagery ... really beautiful. I started to feel this coming into college, which was startling - I was so used to "hearing back," and I just didn't as much any more. I think He's trying to teach me faith in things unseen and unsensed. I love the line "won't You only let me love You" ... moving, and raw. And I like the hope brought in at the end.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Thank you... There are few things truly more anguished, more distressing, more thoroughly life-changing than the loss of faith, or feeling abandoned by God.

When my mom was killed in a car accident, I was so mad at God... my mother was a very spiritual person, she lived her faith, would have died for her beliefs... I am deeply religious, and I believe in prayer...I have never prayed as hard as I prayed that night, begging God to save my mother... the loss of faith almost destroyed me and the anguish I felt is reflected in your heart stopping poem... this must have been difficult for you to write... I look back now and can see that my grief blinded me... I hope in time to come, you will find comfort and courage... Thank you for sharing, * hugs"....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

((HUGGGGG)) Thank you, Firemajic. I can't imagine the profound pain and grief you must have suffered. I am humbled. Thank you....

This poem encapsulates an 8-year spiritual journey. Suffering violent abuse at the hands (and belt) of my father. Hearing how God is love and God is the heavenly Father. Fear the Lord. And I was terrified. And I prayed for God to change me, change him, change my circumstances so I wouldn't suffer anymore. If anything, things went from bad to worse. And I would cry, sometimes literally all night, crying out to God for hours. I would think, like the woman in the crowd, "Oh, if only I could touch His robe, I would be saved!" And I thought my prayers were only hitting the ceiling.

I began praying for a sign that my prayers were being heard; some sign, some acknowledgement! And none came. And nothing got better. I began praying for death, praying to not awaken in the morning. Between the ages of 14-16, I attempted suicide on three separate occasions. And there was never any acknowledgement, sign, or anything of the sort.

And if God is love and God is the heavenly Father, why? Why........

Later, much later, I read the line by Rumi, from his poem, "Be Melting Snow" "'Lo, I am with you always,' means that when you look for God, God is in the look of your eyes, nearer to you than yourself or things that have happened to you."

I was jolted! I burst into tears the second I read that!

I was in a bookstore and saw a standing display of Mother Teresa's, "Meditations From A Simple Path," and on a whim, I picked it up and took it to a coffee house next door, and began to read. I swear I saw this in the book, but I have never seen it since, but on an otherwise blank page was the line, "God is IN LOVE with you!"

I thought, "God is IN LOVE with me!" I will write love letters to Him as a spiritual exercise, as though I were writing to some distant lover.... And in that instant, also realized that every word of love that I wrote, would be God's own message of love back to me, and I was seized with a spiritual ecstasy, a feeling of incredible love, compassion, detachment... This all-encompassing, all-consuming joy that burst through me like an exploding star, or something... There are no words for it! This state lasted, off and on, for about a month. If there's a such thing as a spiritual baptism; a thing that is "born again," this was it. I have not been the same, since.

Your story is one of monumental courage.... Thank you for sharing...

This is why poetry is my passion... the story BEHIND the poem... THIS is why most of us write our poetry...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Wow what an amazing story! God is in love with you ... so powerful. So many songs are coming to mind..."Inseparable" by Phil Keaggy was so powerful to me in middle school, it's written as if from God to a human, "Someday we'll be inseparable, you and me ..."
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast