Monarchy and Elitism In The Fantasy & SF Genre - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Monarchy and Elitism In The Fantasy & SF Genre

It may be as simple as most heroic fantasy is placed in medieval settings. In medieval times, royalty based hierarchies dominated.

If I can throw in here, being somewhat of an interloper in the genre...

My only dog in this fight is a (very) low fantasy outing based in a near-approximation of the American Southwest near the turn of the 20th century with a vestigial royal government. I spent a fair amount of time going through options (monarchy, religious state, constitutional republic) and opted for Ye Olde Royal Family.

Why? Because they're pretty much worthless. They lost a good amount of influence when the world's industrial revolution put a stake in the heart of feudalism, more yet when men without titles began to consolidate their own power at the edges of empire. At the time of the first planned story the king is largely a figurehead, the monarchy having largely been bought out by frontier barons who can not only operate with flagrant disregard for the Crown's wishes but also field private armies, enforce their own law on their own ground, and are otherwise unconstrained by an protocols outside their own standard.

So why a king at all?

Stability and the illusion thereof. Overthrowing governments is a risky business for men who didn't reach their station by being idiots. An ineffectual ruler on a tin throne is easier to manage than a protracted war with foreign powers. The crown offers a veneer of legitimacy for what happens on the frontier, and by turns the frontier tycoons don't rock the government boat.

Which is great until the labor riots start.

I suppose that's talking the long way around a short point. Royalty has a place in fantasy, though I'm inclined to agree that characters of noble blood are over-represented. Doubly so if it's in a work that's some kind of fantasy costume ball.

Down in the mud with the journeymen and the soldiers and the petty criminals is where it's at.
    Last edited by JBF; March 5th, 2021 at 12:08 PM.

Any opinion on the magic and science fiction tropes and who writes these? Otherwise it can be lazy. Audiences tend to like it like the first prototype story of these. Cons, it destroys originality. You should use a less used trope in that case. Could be decent for people who read young adult fiction maybe since that audience is not old. If you want to try to break the genre and bend it the criticism makes sense.The

Maybe consulting the history of the genre would be important.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Last year, I wrote a series of books where there was a "king", but in practice, he was really just the leader of a parliamentary government and had little actual power on his own. I made a point to say that his "throne" was actually just the head of the table where the various government councils convened.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345