Your thoughts on my chosen title?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Your thoughts on my chosen title?

  1. #1

    Question Your thoughts on my chosen title?

    The premise of my spy thriller novel is that all of our internet data is out there, whether we like it or not, ready for the taking. The antagonists capitalize on this fact to disastrous ends. After the climax, during the wrap up, one of the characters will observe: “It’s a paradox. You can’t just shut the internet down. But when everything you do will destroy you, what option does that leave?” or something to that effect.

    There is also a sub-theme in my story where the past decisions of the characters play a huge part in messing up their lives.

    So in the spirit of both of those, my tag line will be “Everything you do will destroy you.”

    The title I am debating on is The Miranda Paradox.

    It’s a reference to Miranda rights (“everything you say can and will be used against you”), and is tied in by that tag line/dialog bit. It sounds catchy, and it has a Robert Ludlum feel to it, but do you think it works? Or would you be inclined to think “why that title? I don’t really get it.”
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Eicca View Post
    The premise of my spy thriller novel is that all of our internet data is out there, whether we like it or not, ready for the taking. The antagonists capitalize on this fact to disastrous ends. After the climax, during the wrap up, one of the characters will observe: “It’s a paradox. You can’t just shut the internet down. But when everything you do will destroy you, what option does that leave?” or something to that effect.

    There is also a sub-theme in my story where the past decisions of the characters play a huge part in messing up their lives.

    So in the spirit of both of those, my tag line will be “Everything you do will destroy you.”

    The title I am debating on is The Miranda Paradox.

    It’s a reference to Miranda rights (“everything you say can and will be used against you”), and is tied in by that tag line/dialog bit. It sounds catchy, and it has a Robert Ludlum feel to it, but do you think it works? Or would you be inclined to think “why that title? I don’t really get it.”
    I think "The Miranda Paradox" could work so long as you make reference to it in the book's blurb - at least for an American audience. I'm in the UK and although I have heard of Miranda rights, I might need to look it up to refresh my memory of what the phrase is about. There are plenty of Brits who have never heard of Miranda and would be totally lost. That's not an insignificant portion of your potential readership because, in spite of the relative landmass sizes, the UK has about one-fifth of the number of people of the USA. However, it may be that you only intend this for the US market, in which case that doesn't matter.


  3. #3
    Miranda Paradox:

    Whenever dealing with an in-custody patient, the ones you wish would talk won’t, and the ones you wish would shut up won’t.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Miranda Paradox:

    Whenever dealing with an in-custody patient, the ones you wish would talk won’t, and the ones you wish would shut up won’t.
    That's frequently true in the rest of life too!











  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    I think "The Miranda Paradox" could work so long as you make reference to it in the book's blurb - at least for an American audience. I'm in the UK and although I have heard of Miranda rights, I might need to look it up to refresh my memory of what the phrase is about. There are plenty of Brits who have never heard of Miranda and would be totally lost. That's not an insignificant portion of your potential readership because, in spite of the relative landmass sizes, the UK has about one-fifth of the number of people of the USA. However, it may be that you only intend this for the US market, in which case that doesn't matter.
    Good point. I hadn't thought about international readers–I'm glad I asked.

    I'll have to keep thinking. Having "paradox" in the title give the right intriguey feel so that ought to stay.
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

  6. #6
    Nuffin wrong with Paradox. Miranda is explained in Red Heat to great effect.

    I was wondering if I could get away with Infowars!

  7. #7
    I think it is a cool name, and I see how you got here from there, but when I google "Spy Thriller" on Amazon, I get titles like: The Quantum Spy, Zero File, The Spy and the Traitor, The Eighth Sister, Code 44, The Price of Time, Mission Tango, House of Spies.

    Not only do all those titles have a certain hard edge, if I were looking for an internet themed spy book, I would first look at Zero File and Code 44, before I thought of looking at "The Miranda Paradox."

    Worse, women named Miranda come to mind before Miranda Rights, so I would have guessed (from the title) that it is about a girl named Miranda who isn't like other girls, or is too random, or that she danced along the light of day on her way back through the milky way.

  8. #8
    Yup, I can see why some say that choosing the title can be the hardest part of the entire process.

    Trying to meet all my story’s criteria is tough! I want it to be a gritty, edgy compelling thriller title, and it has to match both the “abuse of big data” factor simultaneously with the “skeletons in the closet” factor. But I don’t quite want to give away that the story is about computerized things. I feel like that’ll make the reveal in the later chapters more shocking.

    I think the “Everything you do will destroy you” tag line is perfect but way too long to make a title.

    Glass Paradox maybe? Seems to roll off the tongue nice, but the domain name is already taken...
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

  9. #9
    'Death by Data'?
    'Terminal Data'?
    'Burned by the Looking Glass'?

  10. #10
    I’ve got it!!!

    Threat Level Midnight.
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.