Insert Typical Hello Title - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insert Typical Hello Title

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Welcome fellow writer! I was in the same boat as you when I joined this forum last year and now a year later, I'm pretty much still in the same boat. I have managed to win some poetry / literary awards, but to be completely honest, I'm still trying to figure out why that occurred. This forum is definitely a great place to practice writing and to receive supportive advice.
    Just winning anything at all is pretty awesome. The how and why would be left to the analyst I suppose. I am glad to hear that although it seems like you are walking in place, the fact that you have accomplished something in the meantime is awesome, as I myself hope to accomplish anything past the first chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Boilerplate greeting in return! Have a complimentary smiley.

It's not pretty advice but I keep hearing it myself. The only way forward is butt in seat, fingers on keyboard. (Or pen or quill or cave paint or mind-transcription or...ooh, that sounds like the idea for a story!)

Truly, the struggle is real. You are not alone.

If I were to raise a protest sign to that it would read, "Stop Cognitive Dissonance Now!" You're writing, you're a writer. If you write and call yourself a non-writer your brain will fuzz out and you'll forget things like you're own name and how to make meatloaf. So don't do that. I dub thee a writer. Now look upward to Ma'am's post where she has pointed to something to write and try the butt in seat, hands on keyboard method and see what happens!

...and I'll be booting my own butt to do the same thing. Deal?

I need to find out how to accomplish the "Butt in Seat" exercise. I heard it takes practice so I plan on doing that from here on. Thank you very much for the vote of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by NoFuchsGiven View Post
    Hi John,

Best of luck!

You need to think about what works best for you. Are you the sort of person that can write and write and write without palnning much more than A does B and C happens meaning D is the end. Or do you need to plan every single detail before you can get started.

I found that reading, A LOT, was really useful when I started writing. Offering critiques to others was another great learning curve and of course having other people critique something you share.

After taking a bit of a break I came back to writing only this year. I found an open call for submissions for short stories. I figured I'd give it a go, I hadn't ever written a short story but I liked the idea that there was a deadline, a max wordcount and an "outline" of what they were after.

As was previously mentioned above the weekly flash fiction challenges are a good way to get the words flowing. I haven't entered one of these yet but have written something based on one of the prompts. Again the wordcount, deadline and prompt were all good for me personally.

Hope you get what you're looking for.

NFG
    I am not sure what "works" for me really.

I can say my writing method goes something like the following here:

1. Have an idea that sounds like something I would read.
    2. Write the crap out of it for like 20 minutes and maybe get a few pages written.
    3. Have a look at it every few months and say "that was a pretty good idea".

So if I can get out of that routine, I might be able to get something written. Lol.

I think that your advice regarding focusing on things with a deadline is as solid as can be. I will have to do that.

If the whole community is as chock full of info and advice as this introduction thread, I would have to be pretty dull to not pick up a lot of useful tips and great feedback in my writing.
    Last edited by Phil Istine; February 10th, 2020 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhern View Post

I am not sure what "works" for me really.

I can say my writing method goes something like the following here:

1. Have an idea that sounds like something I would read.
    2. Write the crap out of it for like 20 minutes and maybe get a few pages written.
    3. Have a look at it every few months and say "that was a pretty good idea".

So if I can get out of that routine, I might be able to get something written. Lol.

I think that your advice regarding focusing on things with a deadline is as solid as can be. I will have to do that.
    I did the same thing when I first started writing. I thought I have an idea and just battered the keys until I had around 4000 words of pure cow dung. But I still think the idea is something I would go back to... now that I feel I have progressed slightly.

If you are in the same boat as I was, which sounds like you might be, I would honestly say read as much as you can and critique as many pieces on here as possible. The more you look at how others write and analyse it, the more you will learn when it comes to your own writing.

The deadline has definitely helped me since I returned to writing. In under a month I managed to get a short story of almost 5K words finished (first draft).

A little idea to perhaps help you. Get the newspaper today. Choose any headline. And from that headline write a fictional short story (set yourself a word limit and a timeframe). Just make sure you only use the headline as your inspiration and write from there.

Hope to see you around the forums.

NFG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12