Older Members, Do You Remember? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Older Members, Do You Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post

Funny, when you really look at it, how many fond memories are based on some pretty rocky foundations.
    Yep, it's made us appreciate what we have and how much society has changed.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Why, in my day, kids would ask their mother "Do you still have the first love letter dad sent you?"

Now it's "Do you still have the first dick pic dad sent you?"

I was a Bicentennial baby fed a steady diet of activity books in which the Hulk taught me colors while shapes were introduced by Captain America. I recall saving my stuffed animals with my baby blanket safety pinned to the back of my boastful collar. Super heroes evolved into a fervor for football and hockey. I knew twin brothers as a kid and their Father was a coach who taught me how to throw a tight spiral. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start was the hidden goodness of a code found in the dedication to video games right there in my living room. Eventually teenage years brought a wasteland of blistered fingertips along the fret board of a Fender p bass while noodling. The Connecticut Street Armory hosted a metal gore fest featuring Slayer and sweaty no fear t-shirts. Without experience I was educated by the media about sexual relations. Recalling game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals I still curse Brett Hull. I mourn the hours spent with Cobain and Staley in front of a 19 inch tube t.v. scoring hatricks in NHL '94.

Do you remember when people who talked to themselves in the street didn't have earphones and a mobile, they were just a bit nuts.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Do you remember when you'd have to get up and walk all the way across the room to change the TV channel? The TV was black and white, not in color, and there were only a few channels. None, if it was late enough at night.

Also, the stores were closed on Sundays. The quickie marts would have rope across certain aisles of things you couldn't buy on Sundays. If I remember right, you could only buy food but not toys or other merchandise.

Ahaha, remember when the big gossip at school was who "stuffed?" That was putting tissues in the bra to appear bigger busted. Now padded bras are available everywhere with no shame attached, ruining the gossip.

Cigarettes were 50 cents a pack and we kids could buy them anywhere by saying they were for our mom, or get them out of machines.
    Last edited by Ma'am; February 17th, 2020 at 09:40 AM.

I remember John Birchers recruiting in the dorm every other Saturday. I remember Black Panthers and Timothy Leary speaking at the Commons. I remember Blue Barrels of pure Owsley hitting town. After that things get blurry.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Do you remember when you'd have to get up and walk all the way across the room to change the TV channel? The TV was black and white, not in color, and there were only a few channels. None, if it was late enough at night.

Also, the stores were closed on Sundays. The quickie marts would have rope across certain aisles of things you couldn't buy on Sundays. If I remember right, you could only buy food but not toys or other merchandise.
    When the TV finished at midnight they would play the national anthem, the neighbour said he was going to complain to the council about us having the TV too loud, so when it finished my mate turned it up full volume, "Let them complain about me playing God save the Queen too loud"

The small town where we lived there was one Jewish shop that closed Saturday and opened Sunday. Everything else was shut and there used to be a queue around the block on Sundays.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I remember my dad, who was almost completely deaf, having a hearing aid with a long cord that stretched across the room so he could hear the TV.
    I remember my sister, on a trip through the south, taking a picture of me astride a cannon overlooking the Mississippi river at Natchez (this was back in the fifties, she and her husband took me ,Mom and Dad).
    I remember visiting my Uncle's farm and exploring it. The upstairs had a communal room with several beds where hired hands slept; the house was on a hill and you could see miles across the valley below.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Do you remember when you'd have to get up and walk all the way across the room to change the TV channel?
    I remember the first VCRs had a corded "remote" you plugged into the machine. The cord was never long enough. TV rooms all across America were rearranged to accommodate.

I remember seeing Night of the Living Dead, at the drive-in.
    When they landed on the moon, I foolishly asked the adults if this was going to be something we did every year...like when they show Wizard of Oz every year. I didn't understand why they all laughed.

My wife remembers when there were only 48 states.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast