WF Blog Update - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WF Blog Update

Quote Originally Posted by Ibb View Post
    There I was, little ol' Ibb, an intermittent peruser of WritingForums whose sole joy in the world was his monthly partakings of and/or reading of Literary Maneuver stories. When suddenly, logging in, I was whisked away to this exciting thread, awash in the insinuation that people have been at each other's necks so often to the point that there now exists an entirely separate chunk of the forum for their perusal.

Be careful of your popcorn bill.

WritingForums meets 4chan
    hitler memes or we riot
    I also expect a daily thread debating whether Trump is a Jewish agent or the next Fuhrer.
    Dead by Dawn!

A ticket should only be provided if the requester uses the specific phrase, "One ticket to hell, please."

Freedom of expression has been around since the 5th Century. It is a recognised human right in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and recognised even as far as human rights law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Both of these hold that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference", and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either verbally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice".

The "offence principal", that is to say the idea that speech should be limited to avoid potentially offending someone, has no bearing on anything. It's not a law. It's not a human right. So this new forum seems to be, to my mind at least, an embodiment of the above freedom of expression, in the sense that it offers everything that proponents of freedom of expression could ever desire: a place to post material that may, to some, come across as offensive; the elimination of arguments of offence, i.e. "this shouldn't be allowed because I'm offended"; and a place where clearly people who may be offended at such content have been told, in the most polite terms, that they should stay out if they can't handle the heat.

I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post

THE INFERNO
    Need to blow off a little steam? From the fire and passion of your favorite rant to the cold, icy logic of that Argument you've just gotta get off your chest . . .and whatever in between. . .set writing aside for awhile in THE INFERNO and just BLOW!

\

"The Fire Place."

Can denote either a comforting place to chinwag, or the old Down-Below. Genius if I may say so. That'll be $500,000 US please.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Actually, no. Let's call it Satan's Blowhole: Vile Toxic Sludge, End-Of-The-World Corrosive Vapours and other Unholy Wafts of Opinion

Pretty catchy, eh? No charge

j/k

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Wow. That "read this first or else" link was totally gangster. Had me convinced WF had got itself thoroughly hacked and I was about to get identity shredded. Now that I'm at the end, I hope I can find my way back without slipping into the abyss.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

I'll just report here that since Dante's Inferno opened 6 days ago; in 6 threads and 130-odd posts, no one has insulted anyone, no one has said they were offended, no one has gotten angry or unreasonable or picked up their marbles and gone home. There have been strong opinions expressed and there has been some interesting and even heated debate. But so far it seems like a place where those who wish to explore rational discussion on difficult topics are finding like minds. I don't expect it to always be like that but let's just say that nobody has their shirt in a knot and no one seems to want to leave. I'd say it has been pretty civil, but no one is pulling any punches either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    In the Poetry category.

In my experience almost all poetry is social commentary or political in nature. If you don't wish to post it to the forums and only wish to use your blog, then it goes into the poetry category.
    Your experience is limited, Gumby.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast