Thread: the self

the self

I
    &
    I
    The only one who can heal you is you.

it's a great rasta saying......

I've always liked it since hearing it so long ago from him. Expound on "I & I" for us a bit. Its origins and what it means/encompasses.

it's a religious thing about being at one with god and wanting to spread the message of jah...out of all the types of music that came from the west indies,ska..rocksteady..etc..reggae was very political and religious dialect is used....in the lyrics

Thanks, escorial. I saw the Marley Family at Lallapalooza 1996 at Merriwheather Post Pavilion playing during the day (very eclectic line up for a failing festival). They grooved and did a great job, from what I remember. BUT I saw The Wailers in 2010 I believe at the Fillmore here in Charlotte NC and it was a religious experience. They played Trenchtown Rock and then busted into and played the whole Uprising! The place was moving from wall to wall. It was something I'll remember forever.

I didn't know what this meant, so thank you for providing me with some incite on this. Peace,. W.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    it's a religious thing about being at one with god and wanting to spread the message of jah...out of all the types of music that came from the west indies,ska..rocksteady..etc..reggae was very political and religious dialect is used....in the lyrics

one often hears people when out and about saying things that are very poetic...when isolated from the sentences....especially kids when they approach a subject and use what is a very economical but accurate description....sounds like a gig and a half man you went to

I the living self, I the living God within me. Religion changed about the middle of the sixteen hundreds. Prior to that it was something outside the individual that you were instructed in. After executing the King for treason it wasn't possible to see the ordering earthly society as a reflection of heavenly order and people started to look within themselves to discover what was right and wrong. The religious society of friends is one of the survivors from that time. Many religious people joined the new model army as chaplains, giving up their position and income from tithes, they felt that things were not intrinsically wrong, it was how you saw them. There was one vicar who spent an hour in the pulpit blaspheming "In the Holy light of God" before leaving to join the army.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

it's weird how many people use religious connotations in every day talk...often i think without meaning...bit like the piece

escorial

I was trying to limit my 'self' to the words of your poem. What I found interesting was the definite article in your title. It makes it sound as though there is some definite self in all the permutations that carry on around a person. Separating 'I' from 'I' imposes a duplicity on a myriad of possibilities. Philosophy was not my aspiration; but in the division of the same proper noun (I suppose since 'I' is capitalised it is proper?), binary thinking is encouraged.

I am just messing around and wonder what would happen with

I
    &
    I
    &
    I
    Kind regards,
    Hidden Content Katrina
    Hidden Content
    Choreographing Calligraphy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast