Writing a flop! - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Writing a flop!

I'd first give it a long, cold second look and reconsider if it's publishable- interesting and well written. Unfortunately, most self-published work is not. Better yet, get some trusted people to give you their honest opinion on it.

Then, if it seems to need work, do it. Or, if it seems beyond that, maybe just take it down, put it in a drawer somewhere for possible later re-working, and move on.

If it passes that second look, then I'd just leave it up there and focus on writing more books rather than spending money on marketing that may well not get you any return. If you find a cheap or easy idea, that's different, but I'd put most of the effort into writing over marketing.

One thing I've found to really make a difference is reviews. The books with a decent number of Amazon reviews get a second look over those that don't have any.

This is assuming you want to keep writing when you may not get much money for it, of course. I mainly do it for the love so low sales wouldn't make me want to quit but, as we know, some differ on that.

Each new, decently done book serves as free marketing for the others. You get more publishing "real estate" with more titles and more people come to know your work.

What can happen is a big backwave of sales of all your books. One book gets picked up by a decent publishers or your name slowly builds, then whoosh!

I don't bother much with marketing because in my experience, the return on the money and time spent is just too iffy. Thinking of how you buy books and following that is a good start IMO. For ex., I've never bought a book based on reading the author's blog (even if I enjoyed the blog) or from a Twitter ad. I assume I'm pretty much like everyone else in my book buying habits, so I don't bother with those methods myself, etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ma'am; February 18th, 2020 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Ralph, I appreciate this thread, just wanted to say.

Yeah, there may be a book glut but I think that is part of a communications glut. Every person is having to sift through tons of messaging from every angle, all day every day unless they just ignore all of it for a while (which is what books are good for anyway). It's not that this idea of 'noise' is new but I think the cacophony has reached new levels and is disseminated further and further with more and more avenues to carry it through everyday life.

If we don't have a thread for creative marketing ideas for books maybe we need one. Might be an interesting discussion to have.
    I agree that we need to break some new ground on promotion and marketing as it applies to right now. I've been experimenting with some ideas and so far they have shown some tiny, but measurable improvement--engagements, clicks and conversions. But you have to be very careful and not unwittingly violate TOcs.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Marketing is something that is in a constant of flux, due entirely to our expanding digital world. I have been finding that many of the techniques I used with success a decade ago are no longer quite as effective.

But in the case of Ming, I think I did a good job on the marketing. I took the full 90 days, sent out press releases, ran ads in multiple platforms (including on a few thousand Kindles), saturated social media, and used my publishing cooperative to spread the word. But in the end, I wrote a book no one was interested in reading.
    Ming is soooo 1939.

Every time I see the title to this thread I wonder if you have seen The Producers. 'Spring time for Ming time'.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Maybe I should write a vampire story...no one is writing those...right?

Flash Gordon did well in 1980. But then even though the 1930's were well before I was born. Even I knew who Flash Gordon was and some of the others when I was growing up and knew about the film when it came out in 1980.

Today I watched a mid 40's man and his girlfriend of same age not having a clue who Maureen O'Hara was. She only died a few years ago and they both knew who John Wayne was. But not who the woman who starred with him.

So perhaps the age range of people who may have any clue who Ming was. Is very limited?
    Last edited by Biro; February 28th, 2020 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Maybe I should write a vampire story...no one is writing those...right?
    Zombies!!!!!!.......... Now that's never been done before. Please don't. My interest stopped with 'Dawn of the Dead' in the early 80's.

How about a vampire who can't bare the sight of blood. Has false teeth. Loves garlic. Goes to church and is afraid of the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Flash Gordon did well in 1980. But then even though the 1930's were well before I was born. Even I knew who Flash Gordon was and some of the others when I was growing up and knew about the film when it came out in 1980.

Today I watched a mid 40's man and his girlfriend of same age not having a clue who Maureen O'Hara was. She only died a few years ago and they both knew who John Wayne was. But not who the woman who starred with him.

So perhaps the age range of people who may have any clue who Ming was. Is very limited?

Mmmmmm. Maureen Ohara.

So I took a month off, slept in till 6 every day, and have reconsidered my current projects.
    Then I started on something new.
    It's crass, it's flashy, and in the vein of Rick Sanchez.
    Then the next day I decided I didn't like what I wrote so I wrote it again.
    Then the next day I wrote it again.
    Maybe one more day...?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234