Reintroducing myself

Thread: Reintroducing myself

Reintroducing myself

It's a long time since I've logged in here. I guess I want to re-introduce myself.

I am male from Ireland 35 soon to be 36.

I have wanted to write for a long time now but to be honest I've loved the idea way more than I've loved the process.

It's so difficult, I buy books on writing and skim through them, I try to sit down and write but I don't trust myself to grade my own writing and I get disheartened before I ever really get going and I love a bit of procrastination.

I guess I want somewhere where I can submit my little bit of writing and get some feedback, advice on how I can continue and improve both the technical and style aspects of my writing.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to do this or any experience in doing something like that please hit me up.

Start small. Write shorts. Try entering the forum contests; they're short & quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Start small. Write shorts. Try entering the forum contests; they're short & quick.
    Thanks that is good advice!

Thanks for the reply.

Yea that's the plan. I need to build up 30 posts first before I can enter them or submit my short stories.

It's been a long time since I wrote or submitted an essay never mind a short story to anything but I have a lot of ideas swimming around my head and I've been thinking about writing for a long time.

I'm very concerned about my lack of technical skill and ability. I plan on submitting a short story when I reach 30 posts just to get an idea of where I'm at and to get some critique and re write and improve that story and then use those lessons to write another short story and build from there.

It's one thing reading what to do, it's another thing to actually do it. So I am hoping by doing it and getting critique that I will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR84 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Yea that's the plan. I need to build up 30 posts first before I can enter them or submit my short stories.

It's been a long time since I wrote or submitted an essay never mind a short story to anything but I have a lot of ideas swimming around my head and I've been thinking about writing for a long time.

I'm very concerned about my lack of technical skill and ability. I plan on submitting a short story when I reach 30 posts just to get an idea of where I'm at and to get some critique and re write and improve that story and then use those lessons to write another short story and build from there.

It's one thing reading what to do, it's another thing to actually do it. So I am hoping by doing it and getting critique that I will improve.
    What level of technical skills do you lack in what discipline?

There is only one way to start writing.
    Write.
    Just write.
    Don’t worry, just write - and, following Heinlein’s rules - you MUST post it.
    Then and only then can WE give YOU some feedback and guidance.

Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR84 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Hi Dan and welcome. You only need ten valid posts not thirty to post your work for critique or enter the monthly Literary Maneuvers Challenge. The weekly Lean and Mean Flash Fiction Challenge is open to new members. ... and there is a small prize on offer to the winner!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Hello, Dan!

I'm going to quibble with the 'start small' advice just because shorts are a different endeavor than long prose but I'll agree it's not a marathon. Just be aware that as you adjust to writing shorts, you'll develop an instinct for pacing that you'd have to change for long writing...this is one of my struggles, myself.

I try to sit down and write but I don't trust myself to grade my own writing and I get disheartened before I ever really get going and I love a bit of procrastination.

I struggle with this, too. Nothing to do for it but keep actually writing. I recently heard advice on creative pursuits that mentioned making your goal one of 'time spent on writing' (or whatever the endeavor is) rather than 'producing really good writing'. That might help lower the pressure some.

In any case, great to have you here.

F.

Blog Entries
    Hello, Dan!

I'm going to quibble with the 'start small' advice just because shorts are a different endeavor than long prose but I'll agree it's not a marathon. Just be aware that as you adjust to writing shorts, you'll develop an instinct for pacing that you'd have to change for long writing...this is one of my struggles, myself.

I try to sit down and write but I don't trust myself to grade my own writing and I get disheartened before I ever really get going and I love a bit of procrastination.

I struggle with this, too. Nothing to do for it but keep actually writing. I recently heard advice on creative pursuits that mentioned making your goal one of 'time spent on writing' (or whatever the endeavor is) rather than 'producing really good writing'. That might help lower the pressure some.

In any case, great to have you here.

F.