A common language separated by spelling - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A common language separated by spelling

Hah! Once, I leaned back from the dinner table and announce “My God! I’m stuffed!”. I’m a guy (bloke to you Brits), so I couldn’t be pregnant, merely full (which also means pregnant in German... “Ich bin voll”)

Another time a girl asked me to “ come ‘round and knock-her-up at eight.” I couldn’t believe my luck. But she wasn’t inviting me to father her child... just call on her.
    Last edited by TL Murphy; January 25th, 2020 at 07:09 AM.

Not spelling so much as words.

UK -pants equals underwear aka knickers. In the US I think 'pants' are trousers

Meter and Metre

The difference between “metre” and “meter”

Posted on October 18, 2010by barnabyharward
    “Metre” is the British spelling of the unit of length equal to 100 cm, and “meter” is the American spelling of the same unit. However, “meter” is also used in British English, but it means something different.

A “meter” in British English is an instrument for measuring. You have several of them at home – a water meter, a gas meter and an electricity meter. The man with a clipboard who rings your doorbell when you’re just about to step into the shower on a Saturday morning has come to read your meter. And you put money into them when you park on the side of the road in the city centre – parking meters. “Meter” also has this meaning in American English.
    ref https://blog.harwardcommunications.c...tre-and-meter/
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Kex are trousers to
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    Another time a girl asked me to “ come ‘round and knock-her-up at eight.” I couldn’t believe my luck. But she wasn’t inviting me to father her child... just call on her.
    No problem if you use an eraser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12