Recent Experiment with Outlining - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recent Experiment with Outlining

@Luckyscars, good ideas, and you could be right.

I don’t know if it was necessary, because I could have done other forms of prep work to get to the story, however I’m still a novice. I have two trunk novels, and neither are really stories—really just a series of unfortunate events. My whole goal with this is to get a book that’s an indivisible book, so I’ve gone as hard as I could to get that.

I really don’t regret the scene lists at all. They were kinda fun, and they did provide me with a very tight story.

Thanks for the post. It helps to see how other people find different techniques.

interesting that even though you did a lot of planning that you still found the characters developed into other things and pulled you in a different direction. Given your word count I still feel that the outlining benefited you.

I suppose outining is like anything else the more you practice it the better you get at it.

I look forward to hearing how your writing develops and also to picking up some tips from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Outlines are meant to be fluid.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    This.
    But they are not meant to be ignored.

Update: I'm about 8.5k into the story, and I'm looking at about 1400 words per scene so far. I've got 104 scenes on the current outline, so I think tonight I'm going to see if I can prune or combine the weakest 20 and still have the story. That way, I'll be aiming at 120k which is long for a debut novel, but not unheard of, especially for fantasy. I'll be lucky to get it pack in that short, considering how I seem to write now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCalliganWrites View Post
    Update: I'm about 8.5k into the story, and I'm looking at about 1400 words per scene so far. I've got 104 scenes on the current outline, so I think tonight I'm going to see if I can prune or combine the weakest 20 and still have the story. That way, I'll be aiming at 120k which is long for a debut novel, but not unheard of, especially for fantasy. I'll be lucky to get it pack in that short, considering how I seem to write now.
    It's your first draft, just write. Cut it down in revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's your first draft, just write. Cut it down in revision.
    that’s normally advice I’d follow, but if I’m still getting 9-10k words a week, I’m not worried about losing hours to the outline

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCalliganWrites View Post
    and I'm looking at about 1400 words per scene so far.
    As a fellow new writer, I can't recommend that. It sounds like a school boy punishment method.

Focus on telling the story for now. What's lacking will grow. What's overgrown will be shaved.

Up to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-KP View Post
    As a fellow new writer, I can't recommend that. It sounds like a school boy punishment method.

Focus on telling the story for now. What's lacking will grow. What's overgrown will be shaved.

Up to you though.
    school boys you say? private school drop out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12