Missing limb. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing limb.

The military are capable of adjusting their rules in times of need. Some will know this story and some not, though it was a different era: Douglas Bader.

I'm interested in why the prosthesis can only be used by double amputees?
    K.S. Crooks- Dreamer and Author

I feel that different people think different things and have different opinions, which even in this short thread, you can see some who think your idea is workable and some who think it's unworkable and that the military wouldn't accept your main character back.

I'm assuming your book is fiction and in a fictional world it's very possible / believable that if a new technology was available that allowed experienced soldiers, who suffered the removal of a limb, to return to the fight, then I think the military would explore that possibility. Just because it hasn't happened before in the real world doesn't mean that it will never be possible and never happen in the future.

People in dire situations can make extreme decisions, if a person faced the option of being no use or they can undergo an experimental treatment which will mean they can be useful again even if they have to make some extreme or radical decision then they may just take that extreme option.

We see people make radical decisions in the real world, for example the people who have applied to go to mars even though the chances of surviving are minimal (you can google it). I wouldn't choose it myself but just because I wouldn't do something doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

So yea I'd say if written right and if your it coincides with your main character's drives and goals then I'd say it's believable that she may contrive to have her other leg amputated in order to have the new technology fitted from a psychological point of view.

However I agree with one of the other people who responded here, why couldn't the procedure be done to one leg??

Is it cost restrictions?? and that the company has a number of other suitors with both legs amputated? so it makes more sense to only accept double amputees so is your character going to have to try her best to get her other leg amputated and jump ahead of the other suitors?

Here is the Army's guide on loss of limb.
    Essentially you have to get a review board to believe you can perform your MOS.
    But if you MOS is 11B, then that will be hard.
    If you are a pilot then it will be impossible. Pilots must be AAA.

https://ke.army.mil/bordeninstitute/...Achapter04.pdf

Yeah, KS Crooks the reason it has to be used on a double amputee is the legs are enhanced so that a normal leg wouldn’t keep up when the signal was produced to run it would probably be a flying leap and then a thud.

Thanks for looking up that info, Ralph Rotten. Getting into a military status was never her desire. Fighting with the Kurdish female fighters, she was a volunteer and went through training with them. She has proved herself with them in battle, so to go back enhanced I’m sure they would take her in.

"Fighting with the Kurdish female fighters, she was a volunteer and went through training with them."

You could have saved us a lot of time by mentioning that fact earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LCLee View Post
    My MC has lost a leg in Iraq fighting with the Peshmerga. She comes back to the states to get fitted for a prosthesis, and long story short she meets an old college friend who is now a high-tech genius who runs his own AI company. Amidst all the computer-driven limbs, he shows her a pair of artificial legs that are driven by state-of-the-art servos. The caveat for her is, they can only be used on a double amputee. Now, the only thing on her mind is, how can she get the pair of legs fitted so she can go back in the fight. As the author would she be unbelievable to cause damage to lose the other limb? Would she still be likable as a crazy person who only wants revenge to the ones that caused her damage?
    Thanks for the input Inthethirdperson. She ended up with the Peshmerga after being rescued from Daesh and her anger stems from that horrific encounter, and yes all that is bad for a woman in captivity happened to her. I wrote it with innuendos and other characterís comments so it is not in your face raw. She has the ability to get back with her fighting group, which are the very ones who trained her to fight.

Cephus, This is fiction and the legs are an enhancement over her real ones. The reason they have to be paired is that the human leg couldnít keep up with the modified one. Iíve spent some time with friends that are amputees working on a design for a shower foot. Iíve redesigned the fittings and have a handle on how the whole thing works. My wandering mind was to leave your legs here and use modified legs for battle. Thatís how this idea ended up in my story.

KHK, that is my conundrum getting rid of the standard leg in a manner that makes sense and wouldnít have the reader cringe over her seemingly insane decision. The other option is make an accident timely, telegraphed and realistic, with just a hint of doubt that she engineered it herself.
    Yeah, KS Crooks the reason it has to be used on a double amputee is the legs are enhanced so that a normal leg wouldnít keep up when the signal was produced to run it would probably be a flying leap and then a thud.

Thanks for looking up that info, Ralph Rotten. Getting into a military status was never her desire. Fighting with the Kurdish female fighters, she was a volunteer and went through training with them. She has proved herself with them in battle, so to go back enhanced Iím sure they would take her in.
    soooooooooooooo,
    why not co-opt the decision?
    early during the course of say,
    rehabilitative therapy,
    some interested "anonymous entity"
    arranges for her to awaken
    a double amputee?

followed by
    an ai synchronized prosthetic pair
    solution?

now hers is the struggle of
    "who owns what",
    "implied transactions/debts",
    etc.
    now hers is the resolution of
    "empowered to do what,
    for whom,
    why".

don't know i'd tackle such complexities
    current day.
    so, kudos to you.
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

We have (had) Americans advisers fighting alongside the Peshmerga.

Being the pedantic nitpicker that I am, I have to point out that the picture shows YPG, the (para) military organization of the Syrian Kurds, while Peshmerga is the Iraqi Kurds' military arm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12