Issue with story direction - Page 3


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Issue with story direction

  1. #21
    Nothing kills an EOW story like an error or inconsistency. I do a ton of research when I write a post-apocalyptic story. I keep it all in the book folder (along with a folder of links in my browser) so I can refer back to details while writing. I research not only before I start the work, but also WHILE I am writing. I usually have half a dozen browser windows open while I write.


    This is an example of my book folder filled with artwork, research items, and possible things to use in the story.
    Keep in mind that this is a book only partially written (about 30k so far.)
    By the time I am finished, the folder will be 20 or 30mb of info.
    I research everything. If I didn't, my readers would tear me a new hole.
    Preppers do not suffer civilians and wannabees.


  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Nothing kills an EOW story like an error or inconsistency. I do a ton of research when I write a post-apocalyptic story. I keep it all in the book folder (along with a folder of links in my browser) so I can refer back to details while writing. I research not only before I start the work, but also WHILE I am writing. I usually have half a dozen browser windows open while I write.


    This is an example of my book folder filled with artwork, research items, and possible things to use in the story.
    Keep in mind that this is a book only partially written (about 30k so far.)
    By the time I am finished, the folder will be 20 or 30mb of info.
    I research everything. If I didn't, my readers would tear me a new hole.
    Preppers do not suffer civilians and wannabees.

    Seems like you're readers may be asking a bit too much. I think this is the point of disillusionment between audiences and of whom what appeals. The context I'm building with the foundation is meant to support the story, not support itself past the point of forgetting there's a story. When I was doing that I ended up realizing the actual plot was dwarfed by comparison.

  3. #23
    In other words if I'm going find more complaints about small narratively less than important details that aren't included as oppose to the story itself's coherence or characters, then maybe they should re-assess the point of the story in a story.

  4. #24
    Member KHK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvaldez90323 View Post
    The context I'm building with the foundation is meant to support the story, not support itself past the point of forgetting there's a story. When I was doing that I ended up realizing the actual plot was dwarfed by comparison.
    Man, I don't think anyone suggests writing an encyclopedia with a bit of fiction between the articles.
    What I think Ralph Rotten is saying (and I can't speak for him, only for my understanding) is that you have to do a solid homework, and thoroughly research all the aspects of what you'll be writing about.
    Then, when you write the actual book, you can use as much - or, more importantly, as little - of that research in the text. But the point is that whatever aspects you do end up using, they absolutely have to be based on a super-solid foundation.
    You mentioned suspension of disbelief... For it to work, the readers have to have enough content that makes sense, for them to willingly overlook insignificant details that don't. But if your readers are going to say, "Oh, this is BS. Doesn't make any sense!" about something fundamental to your plot, or to your world building, then nothing will keep them reading.

    And I agree with Ralph, EOW/post-ap fiction is a very special niche, having a very dedicated but demanding audience.
    At the peak of my interest in the subject, I read a ton of books of this sort. Some were ridiculously written, with an atrocious lack of literary qualities, but I still read them because they had interesting info, or solutions, or strategies.
    If you end up being on the opposite end of the spectrum, with a well-plotted and executed book, but lacking credibility in some basic aspects that every self-respecting prepper/survivalist can rattle off in the middle of the night - well, then... You get the idea.

    Most importantly: I get a sense that you're getting somewhat defensive in this thread. No need. You asked for an advice, and people here have given it so you can choose to apply it - or not. You're the boss of your book. You're the god of your world. Feel free to disagree.

  5. #25
    I'd say this clarifies things thoroughly for me, thanks

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by danielvaldez90323 View Post
    In other words if I'm going find more complaints about small narratively less than important details that aren't included as oppose to the story itself's coherence or characters, then maybe they should re-assess the point of the story in a story.

    You can't change your readers. They are what they are.

    As a writer you should always consider the demographic of your audience. People who read TEOTWAWKI stories tend to be:
    1) firearms owners
    2) Consider themselves to be outdoorsmen
    3) Jacks of all trades, or at least handy
    4) Have read at least 6-12 other EOW stories before yorn.*
    5) Many are former military





    *Which means that in their mind you are competing with books like Lucifer's Hammer, The Postman, Earth abides, Calizona...

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    Most importantly: I get a sense that you're getting somewhat defensive in this thread. No need. You asked for an advice, and people here have given it so you can choose to apply it - or not. You're the boss of your book. You're the god of your world. Feel free to disagree.

    Truth.
    I am simply trying to help you avoid mistakes I made with my first EOW story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.