The Young Writer's Showcase

Thread: The Young Writer's Showcase

The Young Writer's Showcase

Back in the 90s, right after I became proficient with Front Page, for two years I ran a website for "Home Schoolers" called, The Young Writer's Showcase. Honestly, this little homemade website was VERY successful. But I also had my own book to publish and so many other things on my plate that I politely called it a day. Now I am 73 and I'm never going to do this again. So..... I wanted present this concept here and who knows, maybe this is something for you. And it doesn't have to only involve home-schooled children. It was just that I discovered that I could access these children and their parents much easier. So basically I was asking parents and the kids to write something and send it to me. I would then "publish" it. The point is that when the children "saw their names in lights" - and their story or poem published (able to show grandma, grandpa and friends), somehow this really lit a fire within them to write. I had letters from parents telling me how their child all of a sudden "wanted" to write. So that was cool. I even had one contest with a new digital camera as first prize. This young girl from Texas sent me a poem that really struck me as unique. I asked her if she wrote anything else besides poetry. She said no. But then she emailed me again and said she did write one story. I had to pry this information out of her. So we corresponded a bit more and I asked her what she had written. She said a story from the American Civil War. Now that was very odd for a young girl to write!!! Anyhow, it was a masterpiece and I sent the camera to her. Some of the children were very young and would send poems about Halloween or other holidays. I would create a page background to fit the mood of what they had written (spiderwebs, etc) and this was fun for them. Anyhow, this is a tip. Hopefully someone can see the same merit in this that I actually discovered first hand. I even has some actual teachers get involved as consultants. I tried very hard to make what I was doing come across as something professional and safe. When you're dealing with children, at least from my perspective, great care has to be taken to be honest and not have some hidden agenda. So this was never a problem and everyone involved was very satisfied and grateful.

Hi REB. Welcome to WF, and what a wonderful legacy you have had with children. I know from my own experience with kids that their worlds are very small and when you are included as one of the safe, fun places to go, where a child feels welcome and accomplished - especially in this day and age when everything is so scary - you have really made an accomplishment. But I understand that sometimes you have to walk away from something for one reason or another. I'm sure your participants were sad to see you go, but I'm glad to see you here. I hope you find yourself involved in what we offer here, and I hope to see you around. I see you only have a few more posts go to, so after those 10 you can participate in a lot more activities, including the weekly and monthly comps.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Hi REB. Welcome to WF, and what a wonderful legacy you have had with children. I know from my own experience with kids that their worlds are very small and when you are included as one of the safe, fun places to go, where a child feels welcome and accomplished - especially in this day and age when everything is so scary - you have really made an accomplishment. But I understand that sometimes you have to walk away from something for one reason or another. I'm sure your participants were sad to see you go, but I'm glad to see you here. I hope you find yourself involved in what we offer here, and I hope to see you around. I see you only have a few more posts go to, so after those 10 you can participate in a lot more activities, including the weekly and monthly comps.
    Thank you for your kind words. Woman and children should always be protected. But like you mention, "in this day and age...everything is so scary." Certain aspect of life I can hardly fathom. But I do know the reading and writing unlocks a great wealth upon those who participate and the earlier the better.

Hey, Reb, I think you've got something there - a spark to start the fire. It's unfortunate that parental consent might be required, but such is the world that we live in. If something like that website existed when I was a child (1960s), my whole life might have changed direction. The prize was generous too.

A small suggestion - I hope you don't mind. A solid wall of text can be harder to get one's head around. White space is your friend. Oh yes, welcome

Reb: That is a very cool thing you did.
    Welcome to the forum!