Not really new, but close enough, I suppose.

Thread: Not really new, but close enough, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Not really new, but close enough, I suppose.

So I've actually been a member of this community for over a decade. I got out of the Army ready to write and start sharing my experiences and perspectives with the world. Then the PTSD set in and put me on a somewhat turbulent journey. Long story short: It only took me a decade to finally learn how to start functioning like a normal human in society. The good news is that through that journey I realized that my varied experiences through life have really strengthened my voice. I'm stoked to be back in the writing game and looking forward to being part of this community.
    Aloha,
    Jef
    Learning another language sounds so enticing, but I'm just too busy mastering the art of how to swear in English

Welcome on board, Jef. I hope you found the peace to write now. What is it you like to write (or read for that matter)?

Welcome back, Jef. I'm trying to get over my jealousy that you live in Hawaii.

If you're interested, we have a weekly flash fiction challenge with a small prize. The new week's challenge has just started and the prompt is: the kitchen. Details are here.

Welcome back, Jef!

It only took me a decade to finally learn how to start functioning like a normal human in society. The good news is that through that journey I realized that my varied experiences through life have really strengthened my voice. I'm stoked to be back in the writing game and looking forward to being part of this community.
    That is so great! Good to have you here.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Ten years is not bad for recovery from PTSD. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Darren! I've always enjoyed journalism and writing about my experience, but I'm really getting stoked on spinning up some fiction! As far as classics go, I really love Twain, Hemingway, Joseph Heller, and Edgar Allen Poe. On the current end I really love Stephen King, David Wong, Anthony Bourdain, and Christopher Moore.

Ma'am, I will admit that I do love living here, but it does come with quite a few drawbacks; it's all worth not being cold, though. I've actually been getting pretty stoked on some flash action! I have known about it for a while, but haven't had a chance to dive into it yet. It'll happen soon, but I have about one more day of work to finish a draft of a current project before I can start enjoying some challenges! Looking forward to it!

Andrew I wouldn't say I've recovered necessarily, but I like to think that I've taken control and learned how to live my best life (so far) while managing those issues. I'm confident that so far I've come out on the right end of it all. I'm pretty stoked with where I've found myself so far on this journey!
    Learning another language sounds so enticing, but I'm just too busy mastering the art of how to swear in English

Blog Entries
    Darren, thanks, but I actually gave up the mohawk about 5-6 years ago. These days I look deceptively normal.