REVIEWING THE ROLLING STONE 500 (2003)

Thread: REVIEWING THE ROLLING STONE 500 (2003)

REVIEWING THE ROLLING STONE 500 (2003)

This promises to be my most ambitious project yet. In 2003, Rolling Stone Magazine complied lists from various artists, music critics, journalists, record producers and executives, etc., and came up with their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. That means I'll be reviewing, at least in part, 500 albums over the course of however long it takes. A few, I have reviewed in my reviewing (place artist here) threads as well as a couple of other threads in general but most of the albums have yet to be reviewed. Those that I have reviewed will be also included here with maybe some additions to my thoughts (The Beatles and Rolling Stones weren't formatted the way I do reviews now for example). There will also be a number of compilations on this list so I will also be taking that into consideration when I'm doing my reviews. I will also compare the Rolling Stone 2003 rankings to its 2012 one as well as where the album ranked on Rate Your Music as of January 1,2020, the New Musical Express top 500, complied in 2012, Colin Larkin's top 1050 via Virgin, and my own top 1001 list as of 2003. I'll post my own list at a later date.

So stay tuned and number 500 will be posted soon.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

INDEX 500-251

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

INDEX 250-1

Before I embark on my rather ambitious project, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the powers that be at RS had quite a few notable omissions. For example, there is no King Crimson on this list at all. What’s the problem, guys? You don’t have any Yes either, don’t you guys ever listen to progressive rock besides Genesis? There are some other interesting omissions like The United States of America and Deep Purple’s Machine Head. Anyway, to highlight the difference between the RS list and my own, take a look at the albums that made my top hundred but didn’t make RS’ list at all (to be fair a couple were released just before the issue came out but there are also some real classic albums that are missing).

The List…

27 King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King
    30 Kinks Face To Face
    41 Flamin Groovies Shake Some Action
    44 Joan Baez Joan Baez In Concert
    47 Phil Ochs I Ain't Marchin’ Anymore
    50 Patti Smith Easter
    54 Blondie Blondie
    55 United States of America The United States of America
    59 David Bowie Lodger
    60 REM Reckoning
    61 Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    64 Deep Purple Machine Head
    66 Patti Smith Radio Ethiopia
    67 Granddaddy The Sophtware Slump
    69 Kinks Arthur (Or the Decline of the British Empire)
    72 Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones
    78 Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    79 John Coltrane Blue Train
    80 Johnny Cash Bitter Tears
    82 Neutral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    83 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin III
    86 Traffic Traffic
    88 Yes The Yes Album
    90 Blondie Eat To the Beat
    91 Camper Van Beethoven Key Lime Pie
    93 Electric Light Orchestra Eldorado
    94 Johnny Cash American IV: The Man Comes Around
    98 Thirteenth Floor Elevators Psychedelic Sounds of
    99 Peter Paul and Mary Peter Paul and Mary
    100 Simon and Garfunkel The Sounds of Silence

Note that King Crimson’s album was rated at number six by Rate Your Music and Neutral Milk Hotel’s album came in at number eleven as well as doing well on the NME list.

Okay, rant over, we’ll be reviewing number 500 very soon, maybe tomorrow.
    Last edited by mrmustard615; Yesterday at 04:03 PM.