What the ear can do, rules cannot.

Thread: What the ear can do, rules cannot.

What the ear can do, rules cannot.

I have long searched for a recipe for producing cadence in prose, which comprises a series of stressed and unstressed syllables, creating the sound of various writing styles depending on the arrangement of those syllables. I have not had so much trouble finding words that conform to a certain cadence, but mechanically generating the cadence itself. Eventually, I accepted that it is the ear that produces cadence, and resolved to depend on my ear for producing it. But lately I have been focusing mostly on clarity, not trying to write in a certain style. I think, however, that I ought to focus more on style, not neglecting clarity.
    Last edited by lumino; January 9th, 2020 at 09:54 PM.

This vision of yours is interesting. I think you should definitely go with it. The only idea I have is to perhaps start with a rhythm and add words to it as they come to you while listening to it over and over again. For example, a piece of music without words that appeals to you (google "dance club beats"). Or something else with a rhythm such as the clothes dryer or dishwasher running, rain, someone hammering, whatever's around that inspires. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    This vision of yours is interesting. I think you should definitely go with it. The only idea I have is to perhaps start with a rhythm and add words to it as they come to you while listening to it over and over again. For example, a piece of music without words that appeals to you (google "dance club beats"). Or something else with a rhythm such as the clothes dryer or dishwasher running, rain, someone hammering, whatever's around that inspires. Good luck with it.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

There probably isn't a formula, per se, but if you read your prose aloud, you can hear what needs to be done to provide rhythm and pacing. Shorter lines are good for intense action; longer lines for calmer scenes.

Internal rhyme and alliteration at the same point in succeeding lines can help. I think you are right to trust your ear though. the information available to judge by that way far excels any mechanical rule.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

How about finding a piece of classical music with a section that fits the mood need to display. Examine the notes and tempo and try to match words to fit. This is probably what it's like to write a song.
    K.S. Crooks- Dreamer and Author