Different human types

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different human types

Different human types

Hi All

In a future where humanity is spread across hundreds of inhabited worlds I have the below types of Human “types” What do you think, are there some that you think could be the Norm as well.

• Standard
    • Cross breeds with other races - quite rare
    • Enhanced - Genetically modified, but mainly internal. Longer life better organ efficiency, nano tech inbedded to interface with technology.
    • Modified - Humand that have changed their body type to merge with other DNA. Creating sub species.
      • Tiger/Cat
      • Lizard
      • Dolphin
      • Insect??

• Cyborg - Mix of hum and mechanical
    • Uploaded minds into a neural “storage” There are several of these and one of them is built around the first incarnation and has become a religion of it’s own. Called “Legion”

Thanks

G
    Last edited by columbo1977; January 8th, 2020 at 04:33 PM.

Crossbreeding with other 'races' already occurs - do you mean species? If so, that's not going to happen. The others can't be ruled out though.

I'd add virtual humans (uploaded minds).

The 'norm' would likely be locally defined. A human/dolphin hybrid might be the norm on a water world, and an insect hybrid with a strong exo-skeleton for a high gravity world.

These are all under the umbrella term transhuman if you want to do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Crossbreeding with other 'races' already occurs - do you mean species? If so, that's not going to happen. The others can't be ruled out though.

I'd add virtual humans (uploaded minds).

The 'norm' would likely be locally defined. A human/dolphin hybrid might be the norm on a water world, and an insect hybrid with a strong exo-skeleton for a high gravity world.

These are all under the umbrella term transhuman if you want to do more research.
    Cross breeding, yes I meant species. Why would that not happen, surely some species could be bio compatible, or genetic engineering could be used to facilitate breeding

This universe already has uploaded minds, I forgot to add them to the list. I will amend that now.

Quote Originally Posted by columbo1977 View Post
    Cross breeding, yes I meant species. Why would that not happen, surely some species could be bio compatible, or genetic engineering could be used to facilitate breeding
    The usual definition of a species is a group that are able to produce fertile offspring. By that definition if we can have fertile offspring with another species, they are in fact the same species - although if that happens i guess we'd want to revise our definitions of species.

The chances of finding an extraterrestrial species we could do this with are astronomically small: we can't even breed with anything else on Earth. You could invoke some ancient species that seeded the galaxy with its genetic material to facilitate cross-breeding.

How about parasite/virus infected humans? Some ET genetic material able to alter human DNA to its own end.

How fantastical do you want the setting to be?

Wow, that would be mind-boggling! I would imagine a lot of social division in a world like that
    Author of CIBA 'Clue Awards' Semifinalist The Lone Escapist, published by Read Lips Press, available on Amazon.
    *Voted #4 of Best 'Escapist' Novels by Book Lovin' Geek Mamas, NYC

Dan Rhys - Author
    Hidden Content

um.
    less concrete/material?

sentient lightning/electrical?
    autonomous magnetic?
    communicating plasma clans?
    stable range(s) along spectrum(s)...
    your classes of elementals?
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I see a possible division in our species.

One set would a group of sub-species that spring from editing the genome - making them compatible or better adapted to certain environments. I'm not necessarily speaking of radical departures, but making some better suited for cold climates and others hot. Maybe even for water words (some exoplanets like that may have already been found). This would allow derivative humans to colonize a wider range of planets.

Another set would become androids, possibly with downloaded memories of a former human, but the could true artificial intelligence and be self aware. Their bodies could be built such that they could live anywhere, even in extreme (for humans) conditions. The would also be ideal for long spaceflights - they could shut themselves for a long voyage, and their 'food' would only be energy which they might be able to internally generate or could take from their ship's power supply.

I'm with epimetheus on both the cross-species breeding (or rather impossibility thereof), and the "norm".

If you insist on developing the cross-species idea, and since you already invoke some sort of genetic modification, maybe consider "splicing" some segments of alien DNA into human one, to achieve beneficial physiological features that would otherwise be impossible.

For the "norm" - well...
    I don't think in such a universe there is any chance for the Humanity to stay a singular, homogenous society. This means that individual, local societies will develop, and in each particular and unique environment something different (i.e. the local "mainstream") will likely be considered the norm.
    As an aside, try modelling 2 or more sub-types of humans that are close enough (e.g. inhabit similar environments, such as waterworlds) to treat each other as close relatives, share some common agenda, but are still different enough to generate interpersonal or political tensions.

This would be an interesting question for your characters in this universe to explore: whether or not this conglomerate still constitutes a single Humanity? Similarly to the Argo paradox, how much of the evolutionary human nature has to be altered for the result to stop being considered a human?

And, of course, I can see a lot of racism (specieism?) in this world.

I'm also fairly sure that life in very different physical environments will result in widely different ethical systems, wierdest customs (global and/or tribal), and cults/religions.

P.S. This evoked, for me, the book The Seedling Stars by James Blish. If you haven't read it, give it a shot.
    Last edited by KHK; January 8th, 2020 at 11:45 PM.

Some great comments here, I will reply soon when I am back at a pc as it would take too long on the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by KHK View Post
    P.S. This evoked, for me, the book The Seedling Stars by James Blish. If you haven't read it, give it a shot.
    I will check this out, I haven’t heard of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast