the great pretender - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the great pretender

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    The vast majority are middle class..the working class students will probably serve them at the till....
    and are in a position to nick it easily. Middle class only means their parents have money, not that they provide them with it, "It will do him good to learn ..."

It makes me wonder, are there some genres of book more frequently stolen than others? I once watched someone who realised that he was being watched by the counter assistant go over to him and ask about a book on the next shelf to the one he was looking at. The assistant walked over and showed him, then whilst he was walking back with his back turned he had the one he wanted off the shelf and under his coat. Like you say, books can be bloody expensive; and those who have time and inclination to read tend toward poverty.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Not many homeless people looking around waterstones...and they have a vast self help section..
    The only one who can heal you is you.

TLM - yes, on the one hand a poem can ‘be about nothing‘. But on the other, there have been many poems, bitter, angry or hopeful, that have inspired to action or revolution.

Irwin has posted a couple of such in the workshop. The poetryfoundation.org has a list headed Poems of protest, resistance and empowerment.
    There must be many obvious examples in Spanish and Russian too.
    I am sure that you do not mean to exclude these.

I think I am being a bit stupid here. Obviously not all good poetry is about nothing.
    If I’m not careful I’ll be opening that ‘what is poetry’ argument again.

Sorry. I won’t delete this - just ignore it (hmm.)
    Last edited by Tirralirra; January 26th, 2020 at 10:31 PM.

I think I am being a bit stupid here. Obviously not all good poetry is about nothing.
    If I’m not careful I’ll be opening that ‘what is poetry’ argument again.
    I remember considerable expression of opinion and discussion, but not argument, or only in the broadest sense of stating the argument for a thesis.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

I've yet to hear an argument about poetry... I've read a few stiff members frustrated by a comment but is poetry worth the bother.....

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Not many homeless people looking around waterstones...and they have a vast self help section..
    Not all those who tend towards poverty are homeless, and take a look down the library, they are not all dishonest either. I am puzzled to understand the self help reference, do you mean the bit the cameras don't reach Or are they supposed to be pulling themselves up by learning? "Never mind 'eclectic tastes' for your sort, boot straps is what you need!"
    Hidden Content

Books are dirt cheap and often free; all it takes is a library card. And for ebooks from the library, you don't even need to leave the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    and are in a position to nick it easily. Middle class only means their parents have money, not that they provide them with it, "It will do him good to learn ..."

It makes me wonder, are there some genres of book more frequently stolen than others? I once watched someone who realised that he was being watched by the counter assistant go over to him and ask about a book on the next shelf to the one he was looking at. The assistant walked over and showed him, then whilst he was walking back with his back turned he had the one he wanted off the shelf and under his coat. Like you say, books can be bloody expensive; and those who have time and inclination to read tend toward poverty.
    Bookstores had a huge problem with people stealing this book back in the '70s. I'm not sure why.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abbie_hoffman_steal_this_book.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	25354

In waterstones they put the odd paper chip in-between the pages....one has never dropped out while browsing the poetry section...

Escorial, what is your point in this thread? You seem to be beating around a bush, implying that there is some point or argument without actually making one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast