the great pretender - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the great pretender

Could I please ask to properly cite anything quoted? Even though this poem is very much in the public domain, we must make sure not to get into any copyright problems. I am asking all of you to add writer, and book/bundle, year of publishing, to any poem quoted on these boards. Thank you

is poetry a bad seller.....who buy's the new stuff.....the best exposure i have to new poetry is only shown by aunty....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

ESC makes some excellent points. In most general bookstores or used bookstores, he probably would be the only person at the poetry section. Location, of course, is important--bookstores close to universities will get more poetry action than general bookstores, yes, because of students and their courses, but also because many poets gravitate towards university areas.

It is also a factor that poets attract poets. I went to a reading in Vancouver--a city that nurtures a lot of poets--recently, and the hall was packed. It might have held 120 people, but I think 150 were there, and others were locked outside. I recognized many people in the audience as poets. But that level of interest is unusual, except in pockets of urban interest.

Interest in poetry also varies by culture and country. A small segment of the populations of Canada, the USA and UK are poets or those deeply interested in poetry. In Pakistan, by contrast, the memory of Muhammad Iqbal, is treasured by the people. He is regarded as one of the Founders of the country and his birthday is a National Holiday. In our countries, there exists a curious reverence for the presence of poetry, even though it is not part of daily life. Towns, Provinces, States and all three of our countries have major federal medals and big cash awards for annual commendations of top poets. It is as though the country feels it would be fundamentally wrong NOT to have annual recognition of the importance of poetry.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

just feels that poetry relies on its past more than it's future prospects to keep the art alive and kicking....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    so there the two most popular poems regarding the survey you mentioned...
    Sorry wrong impression I gave there, The Rudyard Kipling poem 'If' is the one voted most popular, but then I added Wordsworth's 'I wandered lonely as a cloud' because it is about being lifted and lighthearted and you had said about poems being for funerals. I don't know where the Wordsworth one came in the survey, but it is very well known.
    So well known I didn't bother to attribute it properly, sorry Darren, you are quite right.
    Last edited by Olly Buckle; January 14th, 2020 at 12:54 AM.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12